Lurkers Cottage

5 Conversations

The Cottage in the Woods

Moxon Woods

Way out beyond the village limits, in the heart of Moxon Woods on the relatively gentle lower slopes of Mount Sandeverest can be found Lurker's Cottage.

It is a lonely and isolated observation post for the shadowy H2G2 society of Lurkers (alledgedly).

The Cottage receives infrequent visitors and the last group of researchers that stumbled onto the cottage pillaged the flora without permission and left the surrounding countryside in some state of disarray.

Directions

The journey to the Cottage is a long and weary one for the traveller. For starters you'd have to be mad to do it but for those fearless or desperate enough to attempt the journey here are some helpful directions:

The Perilous Journey To Lurkers Cottage
  • Firstly exit the Village on the road that eventually leads up to the peak of Mount Sandeverest.
  • Then struggle through a dangerous ford in a wild unnamed river.
  • Carefully enter the murky depths of Moxon Wood.
  • Once in the outer edges of the wood, go down a narrow lane.
  • Go past some old foundations, bits of wood and the like where once stood Lurkers Cottage.
  • Follow the trail of old shingles and wood shavings up the lane.
  • Continue past the stands of Tinsel Trees and Goo Spruces ignoring the lure of the fabulous foliage.
  • Stop when you come to a "Trespassers W-------" sign which ominously greets all visitors to the isolated dwelling. Proceed with even greater caution after this point.
  • In the clearing can be seen the Cottage (having been moved there in the spring after being disturbed by a band of adventurers in the winter months). From this vantage point the Lurkers are better able enjoy the spectacular views of H2G2 and improve their long distance lurking activities from this spot.

The Cottage Environs

From the clearing the Cottage is set in, several paths lead off:

  • one appears to head downward.
  • one continues straight ahead like a diminished version of the lane from the ford.
  • one climbs gradually upwards.

Fresh tracks of a large number of horses lead toward the lane straight ahead.

Old grassed over deep wheel ruts tell a story of the forceable removal of one of the clearing's trees sometime ago. In the crater once occupied by a magnificent tree can be seen broken pick axes, axe shafts and spades. The brothers of the missing tree quietly wait for it's return among the other lurkers in this place.

Trespassers W-------

The bushes and undergrowth around the cottage rustle and move not always with the wind and can conceal much.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A757794

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more