The Hard Sayings of Jesus

1 Conversation

This is Week Thirty Five of Giford's Bible Study Programme.

Length: 4/5

Controversy: 5/5

Much of what Jesus is reported as saying in the Bible would have been shocking for his followers to hear. (Indeed, some of his most famous words such as the Sermon on the Mount seem designed to use paradoxes to confuse and shock an audience.) But a few of the things he said still pose problems for modern Christians because they conflict with our moral values or with the teachings of orthodox Christianity. These are known as the 'Hard Sayings'.

There is no definitive list of the Hard Sayings. We have already touched on examples in Weeks 26 and 29, and shall see another in Week 40. Other examples might include:

Jesus on Money

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Matthew 19:24

I have included this verse mostly so that I can note that there is no truth to the persistent claim that 'the eye of the needle' was a city gate.
One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Mark 10:21

by contrast:

Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Luke 16:9

The NIV is more readable here: I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings [Heaven].

Jesus on Christianity

another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Matthew 8:21-22
Another said, "And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Luke 9:61-62
All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Matthew 19:11-12

The exact meaning of this verse is obscure - it is the saying that should be received, not eunuchhood - Jesus may be saying that some people should castrate themselves for God or, in context, merely that they should remain celebate.

Jesus on Perfection

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 5:48

Jesus on Life

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

John 6:53

Jesus on Keeping the Christian Message Secret

And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: that seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Mark 4:11-12

Jesus speaks in parables to prevent outsiders from understanding and having their sins forgiven.

Skeptical Responses

The vast majority of Christians accept that these verses are difficult to understand (or easy to understand but difficult to accept). Interestingly, textual critics such as the Jesus Seminar often contend that these verses are the most likely to be faithful to words of the historical Jesus. The reasoning is simple - since the Gospels were copied out by Christians, while we might easily imagine a pious copyist adding in a verse to make Jesus look wiser or more moral, it is hard to imagine such Hard Sayings being inserted for PR reasons.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A60101579

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more