Jesus - The Saviour

2 Conversations

This is Week Twenty Six of Giford's Bible Study Programme.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

- Matthew 10:34-36
Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

- Luke 12:51

Length: 2/5

Controversy: 2/5

These verses - which quote Jesus explaining his purpose on Earth - is probably pretty well-known to anyone reading this, so in an attempt to keep it interesting, here's something you may not know:

The second and third sentences of the Matthew verse seem to be referencing Micah 7:6 (For the son dishonoureth the father, the daughter riseth up against her mother, the daughter in law against her mother in law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house.), and therefore imply that Jesus will bring about the end of the world, which is Micah's subject.

Although this verse clashes with the children's picture of 'gentle Jesus, meek and mild', there is not much more to say about it, except to note with slight surprise that it features in the top 500 favourite Bible verses - perhaps propelled by Ann Coulter declaring it one of her favourite verses.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A57611117

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more