A Conversation for Asperger's Syndrome

(C)APD in the UK

Post 1

dolfrog

Hi All

Auditory Processing Order, APD, is a stand alone invisible disability.
But in many instances it is accompanied by another Invisible Disability such as Autism, ADD, Dyslexia, SID, SPD, and AS, just to name a few.

We at APDUK, a newly formed voluntary organisation seeking Registered Charity Status www.apduk.org ,are trying to establish UK recognsition of APD as a disability. We are in contact with Audiologists at the Medical Resaerch Council and Great Ormond Street Hospital in an attempt ot carry out some research regarding test for diagnosis of APD in the UK. To do this we will need to tconatct as many people as possible who have been diagnosed with a related disability, and yet still has some unresolved Auditory Processing issues. Initially the rearchers have suggested Dyslexia and Speach and Language sufferers.

But there are many others who could also be affected by APD.
And there are also some who have APD who may have been miss diagnosed with some other Invisible Disability. My eldest APD son has in the past been considered to be Dyslexic, Autistic, and Dyspraxic, but only APD realy fits him. We only found out about APD when he was 10, after 5 years of trying to define the hi problrms which were highlighted by the educatuion system.

We at APDUK are always looking for more information especially from a grassroots level, to help us and the Medical Research Council help all of the APDs in the UK.

dolfrog


(C)APD in the UK

Post 2

J'au-æmne

Hi there,

Firstly, welcome to h2g2! smiley - smiley I'm J'au-æmne, and among other things I'm one of h2g2's meeters and greeters.

I have a few suggestions for you: firstly, that you edit your personal space, so that people can leave messages for you on it. This may help people who may be affected by APD to get in contact with you. You can do this by clicking following 'My Space' link/button, and then chosing to edit page. Or, you can follow this link here: <./>UserEdit?id=Masthead</.> which will take you to the edit page screen. You don't have to put lots of personal information or anything; mentioning that you're interested in APD would be enough smiley - ok

My second suggestion is that you change your nickname from Researcher 207197 to something a bit more personal to you smiley - winkeye

My third suggestion (I'm really in with these suggestions today) is that you write a guide entry on APD. I for one would be very interested to find out more about it; although I'm not personally affected by dyslexia, aspergers, or any other invisible disability as you call them I edited the entry on Asperger's syndrome, and found it a fascinating subject. You'll probably find that the following pages help you: Writing-Guidelines and <./>Contribute</.>. If you'd like any help, please do let me know smiley - smiley When you think the entry is finished, you can put it into PeerReview, and hopefully, it will become a part of the Edited Guide, meaning more people get to see it.

Good luck! smiley - magic


(C)APD in the UK

Post 3

J'au-æmne

smiley - doh typically, I got one of the links wrong smiley - blue

To edit your page, you should go to <./>UserEdit?masthead=1</.> not whatever I posted above.

Sorry! smiley - grovel


(C)APD in the UK

Post 4

RedHillian

Hello there - I'll be looking through any bits I see on (C)APD in the next few days, and will get back to you if relevant.

Tom (Aspergers)


(C)APD in the UK

Post 5

dolfrog

Hi Tom

This month the UK Medical Research Council's Institute of Hearing Research published its first pamphlet regardoing APD.
A text only copy of this papmphlet is downlaodable from the APDUK web site at http://apd.apduk.org/mrcihrapd.htm or you can click the link to read the whole paphlet online, over 4 web pages.

best wishes

dolfrog


(C)APD in the UK

Post 6

dolfrog

Hi All

We have just published APDUK Newsletter No3.

This issues includes contributions from Lesley Sword, Damien Howard, Jennifer Owen Adams, Alyson Mountjoy and many others.
The theme is Learning Differently and covers topics including:
The power of visual thinking; Smart kids, dumb classrooms;
APD and Telephonophobia; Being a teen with APD; APD Cymru; and much more.
To download the newsletter please visit
http://apd.apduk.org/newsletter.htm

best wishes

dolfrog


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more