A Conversation for John Williams - Film Composer

Ark theme?

Post 1

Cefpret

What's the difference between the Ark theme and the Map Room? After having read this article I listened to the CD once again but couldn't figure it out.


Ark theme?

Post 2

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

The Ark theme is part of the Map Room/Dawn piece (as I recall), and it also plays at other times, such as when the Ark is being wheeled into the warehouse. The final opening of the Ark may well be similar/the same now that you mention. I'll go back and check, and see what might need doing in the article, if it hasn't been fully edited yet.

The Prophet.


Ark theme?

Post 3

Pyrex Muse of Unbreakable Space-age Wonder Glass, Student of Life, Keeper of the Seven Keys of Ventuslor

Some of the funny bits of movie music is that all that they have to change to have a different song, is the pitch, speed, or a few notes in the middle, whereas you can also have just the middle stay the same, just have the introduction and end changed, Yet this will change the mood of the scene, if it is higher pitched and quick it is a bit lighter and would seem happy, high pitched and slow or normal speed make it a different place altogeather, playing a piece slower and lower makes it darker, or bleaker. You can imitate, or experiment with this using a sound editing tool such as cakewalk with a .mid file, or with .mp3 using available addons for music match, or winamp. REALLY it does change it!

smiley - hsifsmiley - smileysmiley - fish


Ark theme?

Post 4

Chris Martin - Researcher 201856

The Ark theme (as far as I can tell) is the underlying tones when ever the Ark is shown on the screen. If you watch "Last Crusade", when Indy and Dr. Schnider are in the Catacombs, and Dr. S says "What's That", and Indy replies "The Ark of the Covenant", the music in the background IS the Ark Theme.

The Map Room piece has parts of the Ark Theme in its music, but the two, IMO, are two different pieces of music.


Ark theme?

Post 5

Cefpret

Yes, and this music (from Indy III), is the Map room/Ark theme. Okay, there are 'inserts' for the shot outside, with Salah and the Nazis, but 90% of the scene is this ---- thing. The Ark theme. And especially intensive during the climax.


Ark theme?

Post 6

Chris Martin - Researcher 201856

Exactly.. The "Ark Theme" runs throughout the movie, with different variations depends on the scene. But it wasn't just in the Map Room Sequence. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post