Drinkies

2 Conversations

Just what are all those strange symbols which crop up everywhere?

Drinkies

No doubt most readers of The Post are familiar with the ubiquitous smilies and emoticons used in h2g2 : :-), 8-), LOL, ROFL, etc... however, if you have stumbled across one of the numerous drinking forums such as the ever popular Forum and Firkin (and how could you not have), you may have been baffled, and possibly a bit intimidated, by the large number of seemingly meaningless symbols used when ordering a drink. Wonder no more, good reader, as we crack the code of the Drinkies 1.

The Alcohol Ones

  • c|_|..... A pint of the drinker's choice.
  • g|_|..... A pint of Guinness.
  • c|_/.... A jug (for the more thirsty amongst us).
  • (.)... A keg (party time!).
  • \_/..... A single or double spirit ( can also be |_| ).
  • \%/.... A spirit with ice... eg. whisky on the rocks.
  • Y....... Wine, champagne or a cocktail.
  • d_||_b or c|_||_b are 'cheers'.

The less alcoholic may find the following helpful

  • |:|....... Soft drink with ice.
  • |.||...... Soft drink with ice and a straw.
  • (_)..... Is Mad Hatter for soft drinks.
  • |%|..... A cold drink.

More inclined towards The Aroma Cafe? Try these out

  • C|_|..... A coffee.
  • c\_/..... Also a cup of coffee.
  • c(~)..... Tea or coffee.
  • c)~(..... Alternative tea cup.

And if you are hungry, don't forget to order a

@ \_/..... Cupcake with a cherry on top!

Hopefully you are feeling a bit more confident now, so why not try out your new found knowledge.

This list is by no means exhaustive. If you know of any other 'drinkies' or would like to dispute the usage of one of those listed above, please add a comment at the bottom of the article. Who knows, you may even get a mention in the Official Guide entry that is planned to evolve from this article 2.


Linus


12.06.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1There has been some discussion as to what they should actually be called. If you can come up with a better name feel free to share it with us.2Special thanks to all at the Forum and Firkin for their assistance in compiling this list, and to Bluebottle for starting the ball rolling all that time ago.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A359697

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more