The h2g2 Post Recipe

1 Conversation

This week Master B tackles pork and cabbage.

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to Shazz.

Odo's Favourite Pork and Cabbage

Because the cabbage is quite bulky, I've never found the need to serve any carbohydrates with this dish. A couple of slices of bread to mop up the juices would be quite sufficient.

I had to fiddle around with several different recipes until I got a combination that tickled the tastebuds just right...

Ingredients (Serves 2)

  • 8oz - 225g - pork fillet
  • 1 punnet redcurrants
  • 6oz - 175g - granulated sugar (or less, to taste)
  • 4 spring onions
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 savoy cabbage, washed and torn into small pieces, about an inch square)
  • 1/2 spanish white onion (or one small one)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Grated nutmeg
  • 3oz - 75g - butter (or more, if you're not slimming)
  • Olive oil for cooking

What You Do!

  1. Put the sugar into a shallow pan and just cover with water. Simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes or so until you have a reduced sugar syrup. Add the whole redcurrants and the finely chopped spring onions. Simmer over a very low heat for another 15 minutes or so, until the sauce is reduced. About halfway through, add a generous splash of balsamic vinegar.
  2. Slice the pork into medaillons about >½" - 12.5mm - thick, and fry them in a dry or very nearly dry frying pan - about 4 minutes on each side. Pour the sauce over the pork and leave to simmer for a few minutes.
  3. Stir-fry the cabbage and finely chopped white onion in a little olive oil in a saucepan or wok for 1 minute until it has softened. Add the butter, minced garlic and nutmeg, and stir for another 3-4 minutes until the cabbage has softened.
  4. Serve the cabbage in a dish separately from the pork so as not to mix the sauces.

Next Week: 'Roger Milla' 3-Lentil and Chorizo Stew

The Recipe

Archive

Master B

15.04.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A2520523

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more