Smudger Snippets

2 Conversations

I suppose it's because I have so much time on my hands these days, that all these memories come flooding back to me.

The Grippo Surprise1

There is a custom in the Royal Navy that, when a ship calls into a port for an official visit, there are a lot of social events planned before its arrival. Most of these events are just for the officers, yet there are other types of events where members of the public request to take some sailors out to show them round the area, and to attend social gatherings. These are called 'Grippos' by us sailors below decks. It's not an offensive word, it's just a way of describing the event.

Normally, the ship is notified in advance of how many people require sailors, a list is put up on the main notice board and any sailor wishing to reply contacts the coxswain's office where it is all arranged. However, there are some times when not every offer is taken up by the sailors, either due to too many offers or just general apathy to doing the same routine. On these occasions it is quite normal for the officer of the day to detail off members of the duty watch to attend, in other words, they are ordered to do so!

This is exactly what happened to me and my mate when our ship stopped at the Isle of Man. There had been an offer from an elderly couple to show two sailors around the island, which no one had answered, so we were detailed off to attend. Our response was not totally enthusiastic, but at least it meant that we got to go ashore instead of remaining on board as duty watch. So, we changed into our number one uniforms and awaited their arrival at the gangway. We were surprised to see what car they were driving when they drew up at the ship; it was a Rover 2000 but with a V6 engine, the top of the range sporty type. After all the introductions we were whisked away to start our tour. After they had given us a quick tour round the town of Douglas they asked if there was anything we would like to see or do? I replied that I would like to tour around the course used by the motor cycle riders when the famous races are done.

I was some what surprised at Mr Evans reply when he asked if we wanted to do it in style. And even more surprised when he told us to buckle up and get hold of something. He took off at great speed and indeed handled the fast car extremely well for such an older gentleman, it surprised us both. Both he and his wife seemed to enjoy it also, and we could tell by the way he took the corners and blind summits that he had done that before. We reached some very high speeds during the open parts of the course, yet at no time did we feel in any danger due his competent handling of the car. We now knew why he owned the sporty version of that car, and were totally surprised of his driving skills. He told us, on completion of the drive, that he was a local councillor as well as being an official when the races were taking place.

He then asked if we would like to go for a drink - well the answer was totally obvious. So he allowed me to drive his car and guided us up to the golf club, where he was the president which meant that they opened the bar early upon our arrival. I really enjoyed my stint behind the wheel of such a car, it was a pleasure to drive and handled immaculately, and he even encouraged me to put the car 'through its paces', as he called it.

We had a great time at the golf course. We had a few drinks, met a lot of really interesting people, and stayed for the evening meal - which was well worth the wait. In the afternoon they took us out to the driving range where we had the opportunity to practice our golfing skills. He was really quite a strong hitter of the ball himself for a man of his age; in fact they were both full of surprises, and had been all day. Never once did they do anything that you would expect from people of their age, in fact they were both very active and full of fun. We really enjoyed their company, in fact we both commented at the time just how lucky we had been, as the whole day was fantastic for us, and not at all what we had expected.

When they dropped us off at our ship later that evening, we asked if they would like to come onboard the next day to have a look around the ship. It was our way of thanking them for such a great day. They were both really keen to do, so we went on board to make the arrangements, and set a time for their arrival.

When we arrived back on the mess, all the lads were ragging us about our day, expecting us to have had a miserable time. They were all a bit apprehensive about our answer when we gave it, so we told them that they would have the chance to see for themselves the following day. The couple arrived a little earlier than planned and explained that they were really keen to be shown around the ship. So, after the usual form-filling, we were on our way. They were just so enthusiastic about the whole thing and really enjoyed the whole tour we even had problems keeping up with them as they scurried around. Then, when the tour was over, we asked them down to our mess for a drink. Their first reaction upon arriving at the mess was the lack of space and the amount of us living there. It was not long before they made themselves at home and chatted away to some of the other lads - and the drink began to flow. So much so that, in fact, some of the lads could not keep up; they were really popular with everyone and really enjoyed themselves. When it came time for them to go some of the lads were genuinely disappointed. In fact it all went so well, that it would be a long time before any of us would forget Mr and Mrs Evans from Douglas, Isle of Man, a very lively couple.


Christmas banner by Wotchit

Smudger Snippets Archive

Smudger

18.12.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1The names have been changed for the purpose of this story.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2133613

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more