A Day at the Test

0 Conversations

A cricket scene; bat, ball and stumps.

What do you do when you happen to find yourself in possession of a ticket for a cricket test between England and South Africa?

Some people might answer that by saying 'Get rid of it very fast.' or even 'What's cricket?'1. But if you, like me, love cricket, you feel very lucky and hurry away to make use of this ticket. So when I found myself in exactly this situation, I did indeed hurry away to London to make use of this ticket.

Going to your first Test Match is something you only experience once (or for the very unlucky never) and so I hoped for it to be a memorable day as I flew towards London. After disembarking a train journey took me to relatives where a quick flick through Ceefax2 told me to be prepared for blazing sun and a dry, flat wicket.

Armed with a wide-brimmed sun hat, factor 60 sun cream, an umbrella (you never can be sure) and crossed fingers I set off across London to the AMP Oval to witness Alec Stewart OBE play in his 133rd and final Test for England, against the Republic of South Africa. Each step from the train station took me closer to the ground. I didn't really know what to expect. I'd never been to a cricket ground this size before. When I reached it, it was quite spectacular. The Oval isn't a beautiful ground. Apart from at its Pavilion End, all the seating is in a concrete bowl. Each low concrete stand is named after figures in Surrey CCC history. The old Pavilion End with its Bedser, Laker and Lock stands contrasting with the concrete Gover, Fender and Jardine stands at the Vauxhall Road End.

Despite the Oval's simplistic architecture it has one of the best atmospheres of the English test venues. It is filled by the cultural mix of London and there isn't the social stuffiness of Lords. Of course one of the great things about cricket is that there is no segregation. In a rugby or football match there is section for one team's fans and a section for the others. At a cricket match the fans are all thrown together. Next to me sat a South African with great knowledge of his team, a veritable Barry Richards.

The only thing wrong with the day for me? England lost the toss. Beautiful batting strip. South Africa choose to bat. Get read for a run fest. The crowd was lifted by the early run out of Graham Smith, but the celebration was premature. Cue a huge second wicket partnership between Herschelle Gibbs and Gary Kirsten. So, for an England fan, the day was slightly depressing. There was some relief, though, when Kirsten was out for 90 and Gibbs for a massive 183 - both to Ashley Giles. Then on a final uplifting note James Anderson got Neil Mackenzie caught behind off the last ball of the day.

Slightly exhausted, but thoroughly pleased with the experience I filtered out of the ground. The sun was now lower and most peoples' alcohol levels were quite a bit higher (prompting mass newspaper throwing at one point) as everyone flowed outwards from the Oval to their respective abodes. A quick train journey later and back home just in time to watch the highlights on television.

So what happened on the other days?

Well if you really don't know, which seems unlikely, England won. Perhaps surprisingly after the first day already mentioned. England bowled very well on the second morning to dismiss South Africa for just 484 though, at one stage, it could have been less at 432-9. With a slight spring in their step England's openers Marcus Trescothick and Michael Vaughan came out. Though Vaughan batted well he was soon gone for 23. Trescothick was joined by Butcher who was also soon dismissed to leave England on 78-2. Then Graham Thorpe came in. Having finally been recalled by England he was greeted by huge cheers from his local Surrey fans. In a perfect return to Test cricket he made a magnificent 124 partnering Trescothick into the third day as he made 219.

With this foundation England slowly built up an enormous score with Andrew Flintoff making a quickfire 95 as England declared on 604-9 on the 4th day. With this lead of 120 one result was worryingly possible. Would South Africa just bat slowly and the match be a draw?

Well South Africa were soon 34-2, both Smith and Gibbs out cheaply. There was still more to come, however, and - thanks to some good bowling and a couple of lucky umpiring decisions - South Africa finished the day on 185-6. The two nightwatchmen were Mark Boucher and Shaun Pollock. This meant that, as the 4th day closed, the match was tantalisingly poised.

In the end England managed to wipe up South Africa quite quickly. Bicknell bowled a beauty to get Mark Boucher out and then next ball Andrew Hall flicked a bad ball straight to square leg. Harmison got both Pollock and Ntini's wickets and England needed only 110 to win. They did so with ease. Trescothick clinched Man of the Match with another 50 as England won with nine wickets to spare. During the post-match ceremony Andrew Flintoff and Graham Smith got their respective teams Man of the Series awards and there were smiles even from Smith as the series was drawn 2-2. After a wonderful summer, which everyone has enjoyed, England seem to have recovered some pride at the end. The whole team will, I'm sure, be looking forward to their winter tours in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the West Indies as will South Africa look ahead to their tours.

Go here for a full scorecard and for more cricket on the BBC visit Test Match Special or BBC Sport Cricket.

Wotchit

11.09.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1If this is the case with you, hurry across to A944417 for enlightenment.2BBC Teletext.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1170848

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more