I'm not going to be here much..
Posted Apr 30, 2007
I'm not going to be on hootoo much for a week or so, for a few reasons.
One is that I'm knackered after spending most of last week removing the old conservatory with Dave (and boy, am I glad that's down!). The second is that the new conservatory and stuff is being built this week and next week - at long last!
The third, and most important, is that Dave's uncle passed away on Sunday , and the funeral is likely to be this week sometime - so we'll be spending a few days down south later this week with Dave's family for the funeral and all that.
As you can probably imagine, my mind really isn't on hootoo (or the conservatory, really, despite it's long-awaitedness) at the moment. One small comfort is that at least he didn't have a long, lingering and painful death - and that he's now free from pain. I'm not sure what I'm feeling, as I never really knew him - but I do know I want to be around for Dave and his family and to do whatever I can to help. Even if it's just making tea or something!
Look after yourselves, and your families .
I'm on the FP!!
Posted Apr 20, 2007
Just a quick note to say... for the first time in ages... I'm on the Front Page!
(It's the Satellite & Digital Radio one... and it's a Flea Market rescue.... but it's still there!)
Music quiz (via Elentari)
Posted Apr 18, 2007
Well, it seemed something fun to do - so why not?
Put the music player of your choice onto random, and note the first lines of the first 25 tracks.
Guess the title and artist.
**Disclaimer - I share this with Dave, so not all of these are mine, per se **
1) There you were freaking out, trying to get your head around the fact that me and you and love is down
2) Sentimental days, in a misty clouded haze
3) I don't know if I'm tired, and I don't know if I'm ill
4) Beautiful girl, lovely dress, high school smiles, oh yes
5) Do you wanna get rocked?
6) I'm coming down to see you, I'm looking for fast and cheap
7) This ain't a song for the broken hearted
8) No sleep, no s*x for you from your ex-girlfriend
9) So true, so funny how it seems
10) Hey boys, Miss Magic is back, no Hollywood waste, or tinsel trash
11) I need to be myself, I can't be no-one else
12) Another head hangs lowly, child is slowly taken
13) Hey, Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me (you should get this one!)
14) Joseph's face was as black as night
15) Crimson flames tied through my ears rollin' high and mighty traps
16) I remember Paris in '49
17) How many special people change? How many lives are living strange?
18) It isn't very difficult to see why you are the way you are
19) Through early morning fog I see, visions of the things to be
20) God save the Queen, her fascist regime
21) Here comes Johnny Yen again, with the liquor and drugs
22) I've been looking for a trace, looking for a heart
23) When my foot's on the throttle, there's no looking back
24) I just took a ride in a silver machine, and I'm still feeling mean
25) You want to stay with me in the morning, you only hold me when I sleep
Several of these are covers, but I'm not going to tell you which ones .
You know when you start something...
Posted Mar 29, 2007
...without really realising what you've let yourself in for?
I started a Uni project on British Leyland and its brands some 15 months ago, and I've completed 2 entries (Rover and Land Rover), with another 3 underway (Jaguar, Daimler and British Leyland itself). And, depending how I felt about the other brands, potentially another 6 to complete (Austin, Morris, Triumph, Standard, Wolseley and Riley). Research for these is taking far longer than I thought, which at least makes me feel like they'll be useful entries, once they're done.
Anyway, I was talking this over with Dave last night, and he asked the question I hadn't stopped to ask: "So, are you going to be writing about Leyland Truck & Bus, and Leyland DAF, and LDV as well then?"
Guess what I had totally forgotten about, and I'm kicking myself. After all, where did I think the Leyland in British Leyland had come from .
So, once I've got this part of the uni project finished () I have another few entries to complete before I feel I've covered it all properly.
I've considered posting it in the EGWW, but I feel like it's *my* project. Mine all mine. And no-one else is allowed to play. Which is stupid, but I'm passionate about (what remains of) the car industry and its heritage, so it's not all that surprising. Well, not to me, anyway.
Hey ho, back to Google and my reserve of interesting books....
(Yes, I know, two journals in 24 hours. I'm being greedy )
One life, live it....
Posted Mar 28, 2007
We had the news at the weekend that Dave's uncle is dying of cancer . He's been battling it for ages, but it's resisted chemotherapy and has now spread to the extent that the doctors have sent him home as there's nothing more they can do, and they've told him to enjoy the time he has left. Apparently, he's far more concerned about his family than what'll be happening to him, which is amazing to me.
He and his family live way down in Devon, and I've only met them once when me and Dave actually got engaged (strewth, that's over 2 years ago). I feel like I should be doing something, but I don't know what that something is .
I want to support Dave, and his family; I want to do something practical (so does Dave, probably), but what?
I struggle dealing with other people's (and heck, often my own) emotional stuff; I'm liable to either crack inappropriate jokes (you should have heard the ones I was coming out with when my nan had died) or go into my I'm-practical-and-doing-many-things mode, and I really don't feel like either of those are what I should be doing. Hence I'm kind of stuck.
Suppose the one thing that sinks in is that we only have this life, and we should live it fully and as the best we can be, both for ourselves and for those we love.
**Apologies for the recent, serious, journal entries. Normal service will be resumed shortly, as soon as it's determined what normal means.**
Rains - Wondering where time's going and why it's in so much of a hurry!