A Conversation for Games Room

Trivia Quiz

Post 81

KB

I think you're thinking what I'm thinking...

Trivia Quiz

Post 82

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

It's time to take over the world... smiley - evilgrin

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 83

Deek

Okay. If there's no other guesses it's probably best to finish this off.

Well done Mr X for the right sport... Canoeing/Kayaking.
Well done Bald Bloke you probably know it was Rob Roy.

Just to finish off...
John MacGregor was a Victorian barrister who in the summer of 1865, embarked on a journey through the rivers and waterways of Europe in a canoe of his own design. He named the canoe 'Rob Roy' in deference to his distantly related ancestor, Rob Roy MacGregor. The journey of about a thousand miles took him through many of the rivers and waterways of Europe which by comparison with today were then, largely 'uncharted'.

Although termed a 'canoe' MacGregor also used a small sail and in the main, a double-ended Inuit style paddle which would be more recognised as a kayak paddle today rather than the single bladed 'Canadian' style paddle. He also recounted his travels weekly to the Record newspaper which was then picked up by other British and continental papers and it became usual to have a following and up to a thousand spectators to see him off on his daily journey.

On his return he wrote a book 'A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe' which became a best seller and did much to popularise canoeing as a leisure pastime in Europe and the rest of the world. In 1867 he was founder member of the first canoe club in Britain which under royal patronage became the Royal Canoe Club in 1873 and still thrives at Teddington to this day. The club organised some of the first canoe races.

The first recorded Regatta was held at Thames Ditton in April 1867. Fifteen canoes took part in a paddling race and a Hare and Hounds style chase. Six participants took part in the first long distance canoe race later that year covering a 12 miles course between Teddington and Putney Bridge on the tidal Thames. In 1874, the Club instituted an annual competition for a paddling challenge with a cup for a prize and a sailing challenge cup followed the next year. Both are still competed for to this day.

MacGregor went on to other long distance trips including on the Jordan, Nile and Red Sea. It was on this last trip in 1869 that he encountered Henry Morton Stanley and provided him with a letter of introduction to his friend David Livingston, which was presented when Stanley met Livingston at Lake Tanganyika.

Modern day canoeing and kayak sport and recreation have evolved in their many forms from the publicity of MacGregor's travels. Some of the disciplines have become Olympic events and many of the long distance events are competed at international level.

Trivia Quiz

Post 84

Deek

Incidentally... A version of MacGregor's book 'A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe' is available through Kindle. (Free).

Trivia Quiz

Post 85

Gnomon - time to move on

You have to nominate someone to ask the next question.

Trivia Quiz

Post 86

Deek

Well done Mr X for the right sport... Canoeing/Kayaking.

Next question if you will please.

Trivia Quiz

Post 87

Oh, okay. Here we go: From whence came the phrase "I've COME to SUCK your BLOOD!"?

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 88

Icy North

A long shot, but could it be the vampire movies genre?

Trivia Quiz

Post 89

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 90

Icy North

Assuming that to mean it isn't, I'm a bit bereft of ideas.

It's not in Hansard - I checked.

Trivia Quiz

Post 91

What's Hansard?

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 92

Icy North

The proceedings of UK parliamentary debates.

Trivia Quiz

Post 93

Shall I give you a CLUE? smiley - tongueincheek

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 94

Icy North

What, when we're doing so well guessing?

Trivia Quiz

Post 95

Here, allow me to point out that neither Plan 8, nor Plan 10 From Outer Space have anything to do with it.

smiley - vampire

Trivia Quiz

Post 96

Pink Paisley

I think it was some sort of spoof like the one with Leslie Nielsen in it or a Mel Brookes thing but I'm not familiar enough with the genre. It's too corny to be Bela Lugosi.

PP.

Trivia Quiz

Post 97

Icy North

Not Plan 9 from Outer Space, then? smiley - laugh

Trivia Quiz

Post 98

Getting warmer.

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 99

ITIWBS

Dracula?

Trivia Quiz

Post 100

Colder.

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more