A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

SEx: the speed of water

Post 21

pedro

The amount of water will give the amount m3/s, the diameter of the tube m2/s, so, dividiing, you get the speed m/s.

The speed of the water will depend on the height it falls through.
If it's one metre then E=mgh = 100kg x 10m/s2 x 0.03m (assuming you mean 3cm diameter), which is 30Joules.

The speed will be 30J = 1/2 mv2, so, rearranging..

v2 = 30J/2m

= 30J/2x 100
= 1.5
v = about 1.23 m/s

So it will depend on how big the hose is.

Now I'm sure that 9having been out earlier smiley - drunk most of that is wrong, but someone will correct me and we'll get there eventually.

Post 22

Rod

OSX 10.6.8 here too

The dashboard has 2 calculators - simple and scientific. I quite often use the simple one but rarely t'other.

Post 23

Orcus

Hi Turvy - well I'm using OSX - 10.6.8.

Well you've taught me something there smiley - blushsmiley - ok

I've always just used the calculator as it first appears and it never occurred to me to actually check the menus at the top of the screen. smiley - laugh

Add to that that I always just use the one that is in the dashboard and wasn't really aware that there was another one in the applications menu and there be why I've been missing out for a *long* time.

Now I feel a right plonker for having downloaded a scientific calculator app for the dashboard. smiley - erm At least I didn't pay for it.

Thanks for enlightening me. smiley - ta

Post 24

hygienicdispenser

Did you know that you can use spotlight for quick calculations? Just hit Cmd+space bar to open spotlight, then type eg (27+43)/16, and the first spotlight result will be the answer. A lot quicker that opening any of the calculators.

Post 25

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

What OS is that hd? It's not working in Tiger.

Will get back to the calculation today

Post 26

hygienicdispenser

It was new with Leopard, and it really is very handy.

Post 27

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

smiley - ok Orcus. I knew about Calculator in Applications long before Dashboard came along.

@hygienicdispenser. Now I've learned something new!smiley - biggrin

Post 28

Orcus

To be fair I think I just forgot about the one in the applications menu and/or didn't connect it with the one in the dashboard.

I've been using Macs since the Mac Classic I think so I have been around since before the dashboard came along too.

(talk about thread hijack smiley - laugh

Post 29

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Yes we do seem to have turned The speed of Water into a Jobsian Mac Fanboi nostalgia-fest! smiley - geek

Perhaps we should get it moved to The Orchard smiley - toffeeapple and resurrect that.

My own first experience of Apple machines was in the mid 1980s at work where the Anaesthetic Department had a pre-Apple operating system Apple machine. It had 51/4 inch floppy drive and used DOS.

t.

Post 30

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Not to worry, I've given up trying to figure out the equation.

Key: Complain about this post