A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Brahms and Liszt...

Post 1821

Pheroneous

What are you whittering on about old chap?

Brahms and Liszt...

Post 1822

Is mise Duncan

I'm not sure I follow you (except by post number, of course)...does this make baby sticklebacks sticklebickerels then?

Brahms and Liszt...

Post 1823

Pheroneous

Perhaps baby dogfish are doggerels then?

(Sorry!, disappears quietly whence he came)

Brahms and Liszt...

Post 1824

Wand'rin star

Aagh! thanx pheroneous. That was worth the price of admission

Brahms and Liszt...

Post 1825

Nikki-D

It seems several of the previous postings are suffering from a severe case (!) of Brahms & Liszt (a case being 12 bottles).
There doesn't seem to be any logic in the naming of baby things.
Cats aren't the only creatures to have kittens. This is confusing as someone talking about kittens doesn't necesarily mean baby cats. I think otters have kittens (amoung others).
And pups can be slightly confusing, as they could be baby seals (with no canine connection at all that I can think of).
Is the naming of babies universal (in the sense that English is the universal language) ? Why hasn't a name for, say, baby mice been invented ?

Brahms and Liszt...

Post 1826

Munchkin

Baby Mice? Micelets, micerals, Mic (as in Chickens producing Chicks), Pink Squidgy Things, snake food?

Baby talk

Post 1827

Is mise Duncan

I have a nagging fear that baby mice may be called kittens....

I do know that baby kangaroos are joeys and baby hares are leverets,
baby sheep are lambs, baby all canines are pups except wolves which have cubs...

Its a bit like the "collective nouns" thing - there are loads of words but most people just don't know them...
*psst - guide entry potential here!*

Baby talk

Post 1828

You can call me TC

In my schoolgirls diary you used to get lists of them. There are loads of them, and totally illogical they are too.

It was nice being checked on your "Gaggle of Geese" and "Pride of Lions" as a change from mental arithmetic at the dinner table. Not to mention the leverets and goslings

Baby talk

Post 1829

Percy von Wurzel

Baby pike ARE called pickerel, so grown-up mackerel should be called make, but that would not have rhymed at all.
Baby rats are called kittens. I would guess that baby mice are too.
There are some strange conventions applied to animals. Cats board in a cattery but dogs take their holidays in a kennels, not a doggery - or a doggerel. Why do penguins live in a rookery? What lives in a scullery?

Baby talk

Post 1830

Nikki-D

I want to know what mittens will be when they grow up.

Baby talk

Post 1831

Nikki-D

Don't foxes have cubs too ?

Baby talk

Post 1832

Nikki-D

Mice live in the scullery (by tradition)
The reason penguins live in a rookery is that folk gave up trying to say a 'penguinery'.

Baby talk

Post 1833

Tismey

The collective noun for lots of clouds is a nudge. That's just a random bit of information that I've been carrying around for years, and never had a chance to tell anyone.

Baby talk

Post 1834

Nikki-D

Gosh, this is exciting.
I've just got three in a row. Is that going to cause a row ?
Are there many combinations like pigs/piglets ? I can't think of any now.

Scullions

Post 1835

Wand'rin star

live in a scullery. Where do minions live?
Do any of you live in a house with a scullery? I did when I was in my teens, but I bet the people that bought that house call it a utility room these days.

Scullions

Post 1836

Is mise Duncan

With the price of property in the SE, that scullery is probably now a self contained flat smiley - winkeye

Thinks: Is hamlet the meat of a piglet then?

Scullions

Post 1837

Researcher 113899

Bear's and Big cats have cub's as well if I'm not mistaken...

Scallions

Post 1838

Percy von Wurzel

The collective noun for these must be a set, which is also something in which badgers live. Roast badger and scallions anyone?
Presumably a ham is a large hamlet (oe?), a bad actor or the King of Denmark. smiley - bigeyes

Scallions

Post 1839

Phil

A large hamlet is a village.

Hamlet

Post 1840

Wand'rin star

happiness is a cigar called

Key: Complain about this post