A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How much does the concept of your own death scare you?

Post 121

taliesin

Death frightens me far, far less than the idea of slowly wasting away over a period of time, suffering from some excruciatingly painful disease smiley - sadface

How does that joke go? I want to die like my grandfather, peacefully in my sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers smiley - winkeye

I did not exist for countless eons, so the prospect of not existing does not bother me.

We are all nothing more nor less than star stuff, after all smiley - star

Post 122

badger party tony party green party

I think it must have been a pssimist who first decided that death was something to be scarred of. As an optimist or someone generally too stupid and unobservant to drink in the full gravity of the situation around them i still cant imagine that death can be any scarrier than life.

Whne Im dead I strongly expect that i wont be hit by speeding cars pursued by people who want to beat me up or worry that people will find my stash of "gentleman's periodicals". Once Im dead I will not worry about my mom being mugged or my neices being raped in some lonely dark street. I wont have to bother myself about spinach on my teeth or if the joke I made about accountants will alienate the pretty girl opposite me because she wants to be an accountant some day.

Death: I say bring it on, though Im in no rush and Im taking reasonable steps to avoid it I have resigned myself to my own mortality.

From what Ive seen the last few years of life are pretty shitty and Id rather check out of a three star hotel after a hearty breakfast, some illicit sex with someone elses wife and few lengths in the pool than spend my last days trapped in the prison of my own body.

(I think that metaphor jst about makes sense)

smiley - rainbow

Post 123

Elenitsa

Count me in with the not at all scared brigade (of death itself....the possible pain leading up too it - oh yeah, I'm scared).

The one thing that does give me nightmares is ending my life scared, stressed and not knowing the people around me and basically being a baby in all my personal needs - if I am EVER diagnosed with dementia, I am checking out while I still can.

Post 124

sprout

Quite scared.

So much to do, so little time.

sprout

Post 125

Secretly Not Here Any More

Why be afraid of something you can't prevent? I'm not scared of death, but that's not going to stop me poking the grim reaper in the eye, kicking him in the kneecaps and then living forever.

Post 126

Ellen

I'm scared because it is an unknown. But I don't obsess over it or anything. And I like to think there may be a heaven, or even future lives.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more