A Conversation for Stoep-sitting

My ideal stoep ...

Post 1

LL Waz

has white jasmine, golden shower and grenadillas growing up it's pillars. It's shared with a chameleon and several lizards. Ideal companions for a bit of quiet stoep sitting.

My ideal stoep ...

Post 2

Wrinkled Rocker

smiley - sorry I missed you!
Nothing like a bit of Nature to keep you focussed on what's important in life!
Do you get much good-weather-time to stoep-sit in Shropshire?

My ideal stoep ...

Post 3

LL Waz

Erm...no! In fact there are very few stoeps to sit on. We put glass around them and call them conservatories. Which would be ok except that then people think they're part of the house and keep them way too clean and tidy. Plants have to behave in a civilised manner in pots and wildlife is not welcome.

But I can dream smiley - biggrin or virtual stoep-sit!

My ideal stoep ...

Post 4

Wrinkled Rocker

smiley - groan I agree - conservatories that do not conserve all the necessary natural + living things are just potplant parking places!
Friends of mine who live at the coast in Natal have little lizzards that spent their lives running around (upside down) on the living room ceiling, catching moths and flies and mosquitoes and other flying 'things' for them. They live in perfect harmony!smiley - smiley

My ideal stoep ...

Post 5

bix

so far, in all my travels, my favorite spot for stoep sitting is in the sonorian desert in southern arizona, usa. but, bear in mind, never attempt this practice between the months of may through october, as you will likely spontaneously combust! however, in the remaining months, you will never(at least i haven't) experience a deeper sense of serenity...that particular desert is a magically spiritual place. words do not do it justice. a bit of advice, get as far out as you can...and then go a bit further...and bring lots of water...at least two liters. ENJOY!

My ideal stoep ...

Post 6

Wrinkled Rocker

I've always wondered what the desert is like at night, when the sun-shy animals come out. I would think that a full moon night in the desert would be REALLY something! smiley - biggrin
We tend to become very complacent in 'civilisation' and forget that most of the world doesn't have skyscrapers and shopping malls and paved parking lots...smiley - groan
I live 200 metres from a highway. I spent one night on a farm in rural Natal and couldn't sleep - it was so quiet the cars passing on the road over a two kilometres away were too noisy to let me relax!

My ideal stoep ...

Post 7

bix

i will soon be living in s.a., well not too soon, but, i will be there. i've been looking around various sites. i see devils peak, table mtn., some beaches, etc., etc., i guess i'd like a few pointers as to where i might go exploring around south africa. i don't mind driving a ways, if i must. any info or websites would be helpful. thanks in advance. bix

My ideal stoep ...

Post 8

Wrinkled Rocker

Well, that rather depends on where you will be based /live! smiley - smiley SA is varied in its scenery and beauty from rainforest to desert, seashore to alpine crags, grassland to dense thornveld.

Let me in on what strikes your fancy and I'll gladly try to suggest some places to see. smiley - bigeyes After all, you can drive from one end to the other in two days! If you do have the cash, you can fly it in two hours...smiley - biggrin

My ideal stoep ...

Post 9

Also ran 1

What a wonderful account. And would you believe it I have never done any stoep sitting. Something which will have to be corrected when I go to Fish Hoek at the beginning of 2004.
Your account was magical. As was your account of the night on the beach when you saw the moon rising. I must say that there is nothing like the blackness of the sky in Africa and the wonderful stars all just winking at you.
Thank you for pointing me to your entry. I am interested to see that Waz, my special friend, got to know you first!!. I hope that Willem replies and joins in.
Again very many thanks,
Sincerely,

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

False Bay

Post 10

Wrinkled Rocker

*can't understand what happened to his previous posting* smiley - huh

I spent my national service year in the SA Navy in Simonstown. I used to pick my watch so as to be awake at sunrise. Silence, tranquility and a magical light! smiley - bigeyes The sun rises behind the Hottentots-Holland mountains with the sea reflecting the sky and the dark strip of mountain in between. A more beautiful sight you'll not easily see. It would be quite bright before the orange orb peeped out to say 'Good morning!' smiley - biggrin

I hope you'll be able to see the sea from where you'll be staying in Fish Hoek...smiley - ok

False Bay

Post 11

Also ran 1

And would you believew it, my darling Dick and I lived on the side of a mountain of the Hottentots Holland and we looked across to Simonstown!!. Actually I have done some fasicnating research on Simonstown whilst I was at University. It has such a history. My paper was published in the History of the Western Cape list of papers.

I agree that sunsets and sunrises are quite magical in Africa. We lived for 21 years in Zim and there there is NO twilight. One minute the sun is shining - the next night has come swiftly and silently.

Go well,

False Bay

Post 12

Wrinkled Rocker

Were you and Dick living in Somerset West in '72 - if so, that's when I was looking at sunrises! smiley - bigeyes

(BTW - My real name is Richard)smiley - wow

False Bay

Post 13

bix

you all are getting me juiced for africa..i'm moving to cape town this coming october. there, we three, will live at least the next three years. plenty of time fer some truly spiritual stoep sitting. i can't sign off without plugging the sonorian desert. indeed, one of mother earths magical places. however, we three have stayed our allotted time, now comes afrika! peace.

False Bay

Post 14

Also ran 1

Very dear Wrinkled Rocker ((Dicky bird the second!!)

Yes we were most certainly there!!. How strange life is. There we were, gazing at one another across False Bay!!. Incidentally did you ever go to Smitswinkle Bay. My son K. did his under-water tests for diving, there at night!. He said one of his frightening experiences was going down at night, with "lungs" on, and "feeling" something next to him. He was truly scared until suddenly he reaslied that it was anb inquisitive seal!!.

He is sitting here next to me, hopefully happy at remembering a time of his life BEFORE he fell ill.

Good wishes and a big smiley - hug
from the old

False Bay

Post 15

Also ran 1

Dear bix,smiley - smiley
I went to your home page hoping to find out something about you - and what is there? Just a tantalising little bit of edited bis-genealogy!.
You will find that South Africans are very open and friendly, so why don't you tell us something about yourself?
I am sure that you will love South Africa.
Kind regards

False Bay

Post 16

Wrinkled Rocker

Well, well, well! Just a little bit more ocean between us now than then?

I went out on a minesweeper one day during my service as part of a Family Day outing. We pottered around False Bay a bit and dropped anchor of Smitswinkel Bay for lunch. It's a lovely spot indeed! smiley - ok

I was accompanied by a girl from Jo'burg who insisted on going in a pink miniskirt. Now anyone who has been on a ship will realise that the steps rise at about 75 degrees and there are no secrets beneath a mini! We were going down a hatch and I offered to go down first, but she though I was just trying to get a smiley - drool up her skirt.

Instead she insisted on going down first, making sure that I wasn't peeking down her blouse. When she got below deck, she discovered she had just decended into the seaman's mess, where the ship's company was enjoying their midday meal. They were all so stunned by the beautiful legs that they didn't say a word! smiley - winkeye

False Bay

Post 17

Also ran 1

Very polite they were!!.
Mind you wearing a mini to visit a naval base is somehow asking for -if not trouble - at least considerable interest.
During the second WW the school was at in JNB "adopted" a minesweeper. All the senior girls were given a "pen-pal" according to their hierarchy in the school and also the hierarchy on board ship. i.e. the Head girl adopted the Captain.
I had a wonderful stoker called John - I think his surname was Allmark. So you can see the position I had in the hierarchy at school. I was the captain of swimming however!!.
Have a good w/e.

False Bay

Post 18

bix

hi-hi, all! a little bit...right now, i'm in phoenix, az.,usa. the desert here is soooooo beautiful. before here, boston, seattle, san francisco, denver, chicago, new york, etc., etc. now, i'm ready to expand my horizons. literally. why s.a.? my girl is there. she works for a world-wide company...i'm not there with her because i've got some medical issues to deal with. however, come october, at the latest, i'm gone! i fill in the time here with a part-time job, school part-time, church activities, and i'm quite involved in local/state-wide politics. strictly behind the scenes. i keep busy, fer shure. sometimes, too busy.that's it for now...i'm bushed, and i'm gonna crash. your turn!

False Bay

Post 19

Wrinkled Rocker

Girl in SA? NEVER! We don't have any girls here! smiley - tongueout

Actually we have many, beautiful girls...smiley - drool
Beautiful country, beautiful scenery and wonderful wildlife.
Enjoy! smiley - biggrin

False Bay

Post 20

bix

hi-hi, whoever you are...i'm william, or any permutation thereof. i've been talking to my girl this a.m., she be aneets, and she was telling me about how everyone is mad about cricket. i've downloaded and printed out the rules..15 pages! hmmmm, i think i'll find a buddy to take me, and explain the rules as i watch. much easier that way, i'm sure. i'm am literally tingling with excitement over my up-coming move. any advice on what sort of visa i should apply for? or any other tid-bits of practical info would be greatly appreciated. well, it's friday morn here, and an absolutely beautiful day! just gorgeous...i'm off to do some volunteer work. s'long fer now! take good care, my friend.

Key: Complain about this post