This is the Message Centre for Terran

"We're sorry, but your search for 'so long and thanks for all the fish' didn't find any matches."

Post 1

Terran

Okay theres something seriously wrong with that h2g2 search engine if it's not finding that... I thought they'd fixed it.

Ah don't you love procrastination

"We're sorry, but your search for 'so long and thanks for all the fish' didn't find any matches."

Post 2

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

You should know by now that the more the h2 servers are 'fixed' the longer it takes for them to work properly

Post 3

Skankyrich [?]

This works just as well, if not better:

http://h2g2aviators.com/info/search

Post 4

Terran

Funny thing is Rich, that search engine /does/ actually work! Its gave me this http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/U222700

Which at least is better than nothing!

How can an external search engine be better than an internal one? smiley - huh

Post 5

Skankyrich [?]

I know it works - I coded the page up smiley - winkeye

It works because Google indexes pages much better than h2g2 or the BBC can. Mind you, I could stick a pin in the categorisation system and get you a better result than the search facility here.

Post 6

Skankyrich [?]

Oh, and it works better than Google itself, because it filters out the pda skin.

Post 7

Terran

smiley - bigeyes I must say I am impressed by your technical prowess Rich. But certainly not surprised. smiley - ok

It would be nice to see some effort on this search engine though smiley - sadface. I've always said we should have more involvement in the development of the site - but I suspect theres several rules in the BBC that would stop us from doing that. smiley - erm

Of course theres also the fact that h2g2 has essentially been canibalised for many other BBC sites... which I'm sure plays no small part. And the developers are busy on other projects...

Post 8

Terran

You know I think I'm turning in to a broken record, I'm sure I keep saying the same things...

Post 9

Skankyrich [?]

A h2g2- (or even a decent BBC-) specific search engine would need a decent spider to go around and index the site. In an ideal world, they'd get Google or Yahoo to power it, but I suppose they can't because they can't be seen to favour one business.

And on the latter point, see F47997?thread=5739127&skip=20#pi29 smiley - ok

Post 10

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Is there any chance that I can understand what you lot is on about...................... smiley - blush

Post 11

Skankyrich [?]

Depends. Are you a smiley - geek? smiley - smiley

Post 12

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - geek is not I, I ham an Artist smiley - biggrin

Post 13

Skankyrich [?]

No chance then smiley - tongueoutsmiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Terran

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more