This is the Message Centre for Terran

"Time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe... women..."

Post 1

Terran

That quote is from the second of the Back to the Future films, and roughly conveys how I feel about women at the moment. See I'm a guy who likes to think too much. Which in one sense is brilliant, great, I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't. But in one sense it is very bad. Bad bad bad bad bad.

See I appear to have a problem, and roughly speaking it is this : I don't think I'm ugly (not Charles Atlas either, but hey who is? - Charles Atlas I suppose), and have got dates on occasion. And I have friends who are women who really appreciate my depth and ability to talk about virtually any subject. Which on the surface of things would suggest that I should have no problems with women... no no no no no! no! Sadly it appears that there is another little trick up the sleeve of dating culture... and that essentially the merry little dance you have to perform if you wish to woo any women who you could see you spending your future with. Everything that your future romantic life comes down to revolves around talking crap for an hour or so...

Its funny because I meet people (specifically women) in general who I can have fantastic really close engaging conversations with, which bypass that whole crap you have to go through... but you see the universe - and that great ether that seems to enjoy messing about with us - doesn't want you to be with that person cos 9.999999 (to infinity) out 10 times that person is already in a very very very (permanantly slammed shut, with cast iron bolts on it) close relationship with some tosser. And that tosser was very good at talking crap.

And this is where I think things are going wrong people. That women keep going on that they can't meet good guys, its because they're only interested in the guys who can lie their posteriors off. The guys who have spent years lying so well, that genuine guys have to become liars themselves... which makes them liars too... and the cycle is complete... and erm.... mwahahaha (or words to that effect)

And its really annoying me. Because when you're in a relationship, you don't about any of the crap you do when you first meet - so why do you want to go through all that in the first place?

I dunno maybe I'm just looking at all this from the wrong angle. See I like to talk about the universe and think about things, about what the world is like. And I feel like I'm so unique in that, and occasionally - just occasionally - I come across a woman who actually finds just talking about Shoes and Corronation Street boring, and wants to talk about how the universe works and how to solve all the worlds problems... but then that woman has been in a very long term relationship which probably started when they first started thinking about relationships, and some tosser who'd figured out the rules early had gone in and firmly took said woman off the so called market.

See this culture we live in, I fear, destroys any motivation to want to talk about real issues - because being deep, or thinking too much isn't a good thing. See I don't even consider myself a nerd... my interests are so varied it surprises me! And I don't think you have to be a nerd or geek or which ever one it is, to appreciate the wide array of variety that is life, to want to add or improve it. I also do think its important to take care of yourself in that respect. I'm not goth or emo... or whatever, I seem to exist in this uncategorised state of people - and I guess maybe my biggest problem of all, because everyone is afraid of the unknown. Maybe I should just stop thinking... thanks for listening Big Brother...

"Time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe... women..."

Post 2

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

it was my birthday yesterday so have a smiley - stiffdrink and a smiley - bubbly

Post 3

Terran

Cheers *drinks smiley - stiffdrink & smiley - bubbly*

Just I think the world has gone completely mad sometimes... hmm...

Post 4

Thorn

You haven't gone mad about that Terran.

sometimes people prefer the appearance of something being done about problems to actually doing something to solve them. I got censored out of my college's newspaper for telling a fundamentalist that not all satanists were necessarily an actual threat to the community, one 3AM a while ago; should have known better.

Another of it is sort of about population density statistics. Look at the ratio between men and women in the population. Where I live it's about 51 or so percent men to 40 something percent women so the way the odds are stacked out chances are that the majority of the time any given woman is already taken. Just from probabilities alone.

Talking about the universe? Hmm. Maybe a physicist? Argh, I have the same problem at University sometimes. So many brainy women. smiley - doh

But yes, most are either already taken or are sort of "married to their work" so any sort of interaction or possibility for any sort of a relationship are fleeting, if not dim.

Post 5

Terran

"sometimes people prefer the appearance of something being done about problems to actually doing something to solve them"

Absolutely. Actually I'd go as far as saying most people prefer it that way. They don't think thats what happening in their brains of course, they think that by something appearing to be great that it is... which is of course bull-poop.

And its like theres two extremes at the moment, either people don't want to think about anything except shoes (okay a little exageration, but not much), or are so career minded they don't want to think about anything outside of that. So the world can go to hell for what the majority of the population care - of course they don't want it to go to hell in their brains. By doing what they're doing they don't think anything will go wrong... but if enough people think it, it most certainly will go wrong...

So I'm glad I'm not going mad. Although if the whole world is mad, whats the point in being sane... smiley - erm

Although I'm going to have to correct my first post, cos I've just noticed something! That quote is from the third film, or the second sequel! The one with the old west... for some reason that scene has stuck in my head since childhood, a man trying to deal with the complexities of time whilst at the same time trying to start a relationship...

Post 6

Thorn

Huh,
I never saw the second or the third one.

I... sure hope things will get a little less lonely though around here.
Ugh.
Well, just me and the books is not so bad. Not really. But... if I could just find somebody out there to go over some of these things with and to bond with.

Mind, work- stay on task. smiley - footinmouth Nvm.
Well, at least it's interesting material. Could be worse.

Post 7

Skullock

Terran, I would just like to say "Hullo", that I think you are spot on. I wish I had some advice but I'm afraid I'm a unique kind of guy who just wondered into a relationship and I all has worked out. I suppose I can offer that it is not always up to us to have any control as to who or when or how we shall meet people. If it is to happen then it shall, if not then rejoice in the company of those who are around you.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Terran

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more