This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Time to revise

Post 1

Hypatia

My bucket list surfaced recently. I am amazed at how many items on it no longer hold the least interest for me. Neither do I feel the necessity to replace removed items with something else. The upside of all this is that staying home is cheaper than traveling. Another upside is that being contented with staying home means that I'm not as frustrated thinking about all the things I want to do but can't. And there are still enough things on the list to give me something to look forward to.

I'm not sure what has caused this change in me. Perhaps just getting older. But I know people my age and older who haven't lost their desire for travel and new experiences. So it probably isn't just getting older. Perhaps having had so much responsibility for so many years has left me too exhausted to enjoy things as much. I am seriously low on energy. Maybe the pendulum will swing back once I can manage to retire and just take care of myself for a change. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Time to revise

Post 2

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - hugsmiley - dontpanic and morning dear smiley - biggrin

Time to revise

Post 3

Websailor

I know precisely how you feel Hypatia. For the first time in my life I don't have to comply with others' wishes unless I want to, and it is very liberating.

I may feel differently again when we get some warm sunshine but at the moment I am quite content with life.

smiley - cheers

Websailor smiley - dragon

Time to revise

Post 4

Hypatia

Websailor, that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to - not having a schedule I have to follow. It will be wonderful!

Time to revise

Post 5

Websailor

It is, but you still need some structure to your life, which our hobbies give us, but some people forget the clock entirely and drift in to oblivion - not a good idea. For the first few weeks it feels like a wonderful holiday but then the hours stretch ahead and need to be usefully filled, but to suit ourselves as much as possible.

Sounds a bit selfish actually, but I think we deserve it smiley - biggrin

How long do you have to wait now for that freedom?

smiley - goodluck

Websailor smiley - dragon

Time to revise

Post 6

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I didn't know what a bucket list was until I looked it up.

I had an ambition to go to Antarctica but I doubt that'll ever happen, and I'd sure like to see a few more gothic cathedrals, but my bucket list mostly consists of catching up on old TV shows smiley - geek (<- square eyes).

I've seen every single Morse now smiley - biggrin Maybe I should get cracking on Lewis.

Time to revise

Post 7

Hypatia

Fortunately I have some hobbies I want to get back to. smiley - biggrin And then there's my garden. I have loads of plans for it.

I'll be 64 this spring. My full retirement age is 66. The current plan is to start collecting my social security then but keep working another couple of years. I'll use the SS checks to get some things done around the house that are too expensive to do right now without borrowing money. I need a new roof desperately, so that's first. Then my driveway needs torn out and replaced. The concrete slab on my screened porch is cracked and also needs removed and replaced. The fence needs some repairs and my refrigerator and washer and dryer are all 15 years old.

When the house is in good shape, I'll quit work. Then I can start collecting my library pension. The combination of the pension and SS will let me live comfortably. Not lavishly, but comfortably.

Time to revise

Post 8

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Someone in my Toastmasters club retired this past week. I believe she's busier than ever, though. Some people are like that. She's in the gramaphone society, and the proffesional women's group, and a few other things.

TRiG.smiley - earth

Time to revise

Post 9

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

just had another senior moment............... but i just can't remember for the life of me whaat it was all about smiley - smiley

Time to revise

Post 10

Hypatia

People are different. I know people who have a hard time with retirement. I honestly don't think I'll be one of them. And I know people who retired and were immediately bombarded by organizations that wanted them to volunteer time,"since you don't have anything to do." The ones who couldn't say no wound up busier than when they were working.

Key: Complain about this post