This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Pure Camp

Post 1

Hypatia

What is the campiest movie of all time? I want to show it, whatever it is, for a teen program. I'm thinking Rocky Horror Picture Show or maybe Little Shop of Horrors. But then I'm told that I'm "out of it" when it comes to stuff like this.

Pure Camp

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - bigeyes Yet, again, I saw this thread title, pop up on my personal space, and immediately thought to myself 'that must be a 2legs journal', and then, a moment or three later, I realised I was 2legs and it wasn't one of mine smiley - dohsmiley - silly

Hmmm.... no idea to the question I@m afraid... some of the older moovies that might be classed as very camp, are probably just too naff and old now, so that the camp isn't really in them as much as perhaps it was from when I remember watchhing them years and years and years back smiley - ermsmiley - doh

Pure Camp

Post 3

Hypatia

smiley - rofl Gosh, I've missed you guys.

Plan 9 from Outer Space? Batman and Robin? Barbarella? Not sure I could get away with that one.

Pure Camp

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I want to say Carry on Cleo but I don't think you'd be able to get a copy (I know Netflix doesn't have it), and I don't think your teens would quite get it... well, apart from Amanda Barrie, that is smiley - bigeyes

Pure Camp

Post 5

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

High School Musical (or is that just pure smiley - cheese ?)

Carry on Camping?

Hairspray?

Struggling to think of many films that would fit the description of 'as camp as a row of pink frilly wigwams' it think from the list i've given Hairspray (the recentish remake) is probably the campest.

minismiley - mouse

Pure Camp

Post 6

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Apparently lots of horror movies are actually quite camp, but I don't watch horror so I wouldn't actually know. And you probably wouldn't want horror at a teen programme. I know that Cracked has a list of homoerotic horrors, and I think also a list of camp horrors.

But yes, Rocky Horror could be a good one. It's probably the most overtly camp, even if it's not actually the campest (if that makes sense).

TRiG.smiley - erm

Pure Camp

Post 7

Witty Moniker

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Young Frankenstein.

Pure Camp

Post 8

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Oh, I liked that 'Plaid' movie. smiley - smiley

Is 'To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar' considered camp? Or just a movie about drag queens? Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes are hilarious in that.

Pure Camp

Post 9

Speaking of drag, there's Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but that and To Wong Foo and something like La Cage Aux Folles are very different from the films mentioned in the first few posts. I'd call those more kind of cheesy camp. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for Hyp?

Pure Camp

Post 10

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

The first to come to mind have been mentioned.

I'll check out the Cleo one if I get a chance!
I do not know that one.

How about Eating Raul? from the 70's.
Not as well known as Rocky Horror.
Not for sure on the spelling.

Pure Camp

Post 11

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

OOops probably not for teens.
They would like it, but not appropriate
unless older teens.

How about more Mel Brooks?
High Anxiety or
Blazing Sadldes (his?)
I know there area few more of his.

Pure Camp

Post 12

Hati

I'd vote for Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's classic, after all. smiley - laugh

Pure Camp

Post 13

Baron Grim

Blazing Saddles could be troublesome. When my nephew was around 13-14, he stayed with my parents (I live next to them) quite a bit as his father was often out of town and mother deceased. As his father was rather racist, I thought showing him Blazing Saddles might make a good inoculation to some of that. So, one Sunday afternoon, I put on my DVD and we started watching it together. We got through about half of it when his father arrived to pick him up. DAMN!

I never realized how really racist the first half of Blazing Saddles is without the redemption and denouement of the second half. smiley - yikes

Teens today have never seen a film like that and likely, never will again. They should see it, but I can see how it might cause some trouble with some of the parents. Well, most of the films so far suggested could cause trouble with some of the parents, but Blazing Saddles might be pushing it a bit far.

That said, Yeah!... they should see it. Just don't let the power go out half way through.

Pure Camp

Post 14

I think almost anything by John Waters might fit the bill, but never having seen any of them I don't know how suitable they are for teens. I mean... Divine!

Reckon we need some guidelines from Hypatia on what sort of camp she's looking for.

Pure Camp

Post 15

Hypatia

Everyone has great ideas. I was thinking about cult-classic sort of thing, but not one so well-known that they will have already seen it a dozen times. Which sort of rules out Rocky Horror. Camp in the sense of so bad it's good, guilty pleasure, not necessarily any particular genre.

The bottom line is that I don't relate to teens that well anymore. They read and watch things I consider absolute garbage. So for me to select something I like is probably going to doom the project.

Pure Camp

Post 16

Baron Grim

I seriously do NOT recommend John Waters' Pink Flamingos. smiley - rofl

Pure Camp

Post 17

Witty Moniker

How about Sean of the Dead? It's hilarious.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/

Pure Camp

Post 18

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

How can you not like funny zombies? smiley - rofl

Pure Camp

Post 19

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Definitely avoid John Waters. That stuff will get questions asked in Parliament. smiley - yikes And I'd avoid 'Carry On' movies - that's an acquired taste for US viewers, only Brits 'get it'. smiley - winkeye

'Plan 9 from Outer Space' is the worst science fiction movie ever made, and contains Bela Lugosi and Vampira. I haven't seen 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes', but it's said to be awfully good...smiley - whistle

My personal favourite 1950s/60s scifi excursion is 'Sssssss'. Professor turns grad student into snake, there's funny stuff with a football player and his cheerleader gf, and then the head of the Biology Department gets eaten by a python...laugh a minute. Moral: never deny a mad scientist his grant money...

You might be careful about subject matter. For instance, Ed Wood's 'Glen or Glenda?' is extremely funny, without meaning to be, but it's about transvestism, and you're in Missouri, after all...smiley - whistle

You might want to go for something more innocuous. smiley - angel

Pure Camp

Post 20

Hati

Another wonderfully campy film is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sun_of_the_Desert

Key: Complain about this post