This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Censorship in Libraries Alert Danger Will Robinson!

Post 41

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Bradbury has always been a huge supporter of libraries. He claims it's where he got his education (he never went to college), reading whatever he could get his hands on at the library. That story about the typewriter is true, BTW. smiley - smiley

It's always struck me as odd that Fahrenheit 451 is one of the most banned books around. Go figure. Face it, anything that's banned will be read all the more.

Post 42

Baron Grim

Yea, I like what he says in that video concerning banning books in libraries. He said if they ban his book, don't worry about it... definitely don't invite him into town because he'll just be a lightning rod for anger, just wait a few weeks and put the books back on the shelves.

Post 43

Hypatia

I am trying to think of a single situation I've personally been involved with where the attempt to ban a book didn't result in it becoming more popular. If the ultimate goal is to stop people from, reading a book, then creating a public furor over it simply isn't going to work.

Post 44

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - brave
Sad to hear Rev Nick is gone. But not forgotten, as we've seen. Let us never forget the good times (or the challenging) we've witnessed as this site grew and flourished. I prefer to hold onto all the best moments, and those started for me from the moment I "walked in the front door."
smiley - footprintssmiley - footprints
Hypatia said: “I took to h2g2 immediately, absolutely loved it because the combination of the Guide and the community made it unique and the folks here were such a cross section of ages, interests, occupations, and nationalities. h2g2 has been a very positive experience for me.”
smiley - smiley
Same for me. It has always been a way for me to connect with other people who are radically different from me in placement upon our planet, or situation in a foreign culture, or affiliated with a group of people I've not had the privilege to know before. Oddly enough, despite the differences in viewpoint, we've all managed to share of ourselves. We share things from the surface-scratching banal to the most intimate secrets of our deepest psyche. Why? To broaden our human experience; to learn something new; to halve our sorrow or to double our joy. So many reasons. Companionship seems to top the list, and all of you I've met have been good (even GREAT) friends along the way. I wouldn't have traded a moment with y'all, for any number of other earthly endeavors. It has been good and it has been fun. Can anything else take the place of this community?
smiley - huh
Asteroid Lil said: “Facebook and Twitter have made inroads on h2g2, which is old-fashioned enough to demand the commitment of time and attention. To me Facebook is like a high school hallway in between classes, a thousand conversations, banging lockers, constant movement, a level of distraction that makes a real conversation just about impossible.”
smiley - book
There's something to be said for folks who take the time to engage in conversation...two-way circumlocution...outright debate on a topic...with poise and etiquette as a 'softener' for the more explosive topics. There's a certain aspect of give-and-take engendered by the free-form discourse we hold here...it makes me marvel at the depth of insight some folks have regarding particular ideas. This venue reminds me of the days of pen-pals, when receiving an envelope with an odd address and exotic stamps meant you were about to see a far corner of the world through someone else's eyes...and it would be and ADVENTURE!
smiley - lighthouse
Each of you have done this for me over the years, in big ways and in small ways. Your words--and the images they've conjured to mind--have even inspired me at times to wax eloquent and produce poetry or stories that used your words as a springboard, a stimulus, or a rocket-sled/slingshot/boost-to-the-moon that moved me to accomplish something good. Thank you. Each of you. All of you.
smiley - applause
May this group of friends continue to thrive, no matter the venue, the server, the corporate/citizenry entity that hosts our interaction. May you always be well...for you are certainly well-beloved.
smiley - hug
B4ihave2whipoutmyowntowel2wipeawaythetears

Post 45

Hypatia

It's lovely to see you, B4. I hope you and yours are warm and cozy inside out of the weather. smiley - tea

Post 46

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - star
Radiant floor heat is the bomb! (When you get it working right.) Eventually, we'll even do away with the boiler and run the system from rooftop solar panels.
smiley - snowball
This week, we got hit with knee-high snow that got blown into waist-high drifts, and snow-plowed into mounds we can't see over. I hate cold, though I love the fresh clean beauty of a blanket of new-fallen snow on a sunny winter's day. We had three days to enjoy just that, since our power plant told all of us who aren't "essential personnel" to stay home and not risk traveling on the streets. Just as well, since the snow plows weren't keeping up with it very well, and it costs $$$ to spread SnowMelt or cinders to chase away all the slick spots. Even after they declared the roads open for traffic, we've had to be very careful driving Route O to and from work, because it winds its way down into the Missouri river bottom, then back up the other side. Treacherous is a word I could use for the winter-time drive. A drive I love so much during the Spring/Summer/Fall, when I can haul @$$ on my Honda Nighthawk, leaning into the curves.
smiley - biker
I read some of your snow-bound escapades, and I wouldn't wish such inconvenience on anyone, least of all you. Glad your electricity held out, even though you were prepared for it to fail as before.
smiley - ok
So, while we're still shivering every time we go outdoors, at least we have a respite in our work department and at home. It's always nice to cuddle up with a nice hot cuppa java, or cocoa, or tea, or even something a wee dram stronger.
smiley - coffeesmiley - cappuccinosmiley - teasmiley - pggb
Here's one--of your choice--just waiting to be sipped!
smiley - biggrin
B4ifindanotherlayerofclothing2add2whatialreadyhaveon&seems2BturningmeintotheMichelinMan

Post 47

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

*wonders how much stuff she'll have flung at her if she mentions she's been in short shirtsleeves outdoors during the day for the last 2 weeks*

Post 48

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - snowballsmiley - snowballsmiley - snowball

Post 49

Witty Moniker

smiley - flan

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hypatia

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more