This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Fingers Crossed

Post 1

Hypatia

My oven burned out a few weeks ago. Not sure if I mentioned it here or not. Another unexpected household expense. I've had a lot of those lately. The problem is that the oven and cooktop are built into my counter and are a size no longer made. Lovely. The opening is 1 7/8 inches smaller than a standard range.

The stove has to be replaced. It's too old to make it practical to just try to find parts for it. The top burners have dicey elements, the marks are worn off of the temperature gauge, and I'm sick and tired of cooking on an electric range and want a gas one.

I had a Bearded Cousin come over and check underneath the range to see if there is already a natural gas line running there. No such luck. So it looks like I'll have to run a line from my furnace into the kitchen. This means crawling under the house. The problem here is that F, before he died, did some things he normally wouldn't have done, one of which was filling in the crawl-space. I know approximately where it is, but not precisely. At any rate, it is going to be a nuisance to dig it out.

I went Tuesday to an appliance store and bought a new gas range. One that is free standing. It is going to be delivered a week from tomorrow. This gives me 7 days to get the gas line run and the counter and cabinets modified to fit it in.

The BC's assure me it will be ready in time. Why am I not convinced? Could it be because every single project I've ever attempted during my entire life has taken longer than I expected?

I'm keeping a happy thought. That's about the only thing that is happy at the moment.

Fingers Crossed

Post 2

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smiley it i'll be fine tinkersmiley - biggrin

Fingers Crossed

Post 3

Hypatia

I hope so, RJR. And I'm genuinely looking forward to having a gas cook stove again. I've never liked cooking with an electric range.

Also, when we have another ice storm, I'll be able to light the top burners of the stove. That makes me feel a bit more secure about possible power outages.

Fingers Crossed

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Holding out hope for you, and wishing smiley - goodluck. I'm with you, I prefer gas.

Most of our stuff has gotten done faster than I thought it would, bar getting the laptop repaired. We may even have furniture tomorrow, how about that?

Fingers Crossed

Post 5

Websailor

My cooker is on its way out too Hypatia, and it is fitted into the work tops, it being a split level, so a new one will be a major refit, which we are neither of us up to facing at present. I also feel I will not find another I like as much. I have plenty of cooking alternatives at the moment so I am soldiering on. I think I will wait till it has a total breakdown before I do anything. We have gas pipes and don't want them - you can have ours if you like smiley - roflsmiley - snork

I am sure everything will be fine and run smoothly. I think upheavals like this are not welcome these days are they?

Websailor smiley - dragon

Fingers Crossed

Post 6

jzzyprin93

smiley - goodluck Hypatia. Hopefully it won't take as long as you think it will.smiley - ok

Fingers Crossed

Post 7

Baron Grim

I've never liked electric ranges myself, but I am curious about these new-fangled "induction" ones. Anyone experience one of those yet?

Fingers Crossed

Post 8

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

well we have an AGA wood burning stove which has just been fired up and won't be turned off till well into the new year, it burns about 3 tons of wood over the next 6 months smiley - biggrin its the only way to cook really! also it heats all the hot water for the house and place to meet in the mornings, cooks bacon and eggs to perfection smiley - laugh

Fingers Crossed

Post 9

Hypatia

WooHoo, Dmitri! My fingers are crossed for you, too.

Websailor, I feel your pain. smiley - hug It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I've been using a counter-top oven, which is ok for most things. And I have two out of four burners on top that still work. Add in my crock pot, electric skillet, electric grill, etc. and like you, I can still cook.

As old as my house is, I can't believe there isn't already gas somewhere in the kitchen. I'm hoping that when we get under the house, we'll find the connection and be able to tap into it fairly easily.

CZ, I have never used an induction cooktop and don't know anyone who has one. It is interesting.

Fingers Crossed

Post 10

Websailor

Hyp, I have the advantage of an open fire which I have used in the past when we had power cuts. Toast, baked potatoes and lots of other things are a doddle, and taste so good smiley - smiley I also have a pressure cooker and a microwave. Like you some rings still work, the grill doesn't but the oven does etc.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Fingers Crossed

Post 11

Hypatia

My countertop oven certainly won't cook a Thanksgiving turkey. My whole family always comes to my house on Thanksgiving. So I definitely need a proper oven by then.

The last time we had an ice storm I was without power for 4 days. The winter before that I was out for 5 days. Both times I went out on the back porch, which is screened and covered with plastic in the winters so a bit warmer than outside, and used my propane BBQ grill. That was a major hassle. But I gave the grill away and couldn't do that again. I'll definitely feel better with a gas range in the kitchen. The oven won't work without electricity because of the thermostat turning it off and on and having an electric ignitor, but I'll be able to light the top burners with a match.

Also, after the last ice storm I converted my wood-burning fireplace in the living room into a gas one that doesn't depend on an electric blower to run. I'll be in much better shape next time. My large gas furnace won't work without electricity to run the blower. It's a safety feature of some sort.

Fingers Crossed

Post 12

Baron Grim

If the oven isn't ready yet by then, get a propane boiler and have deep fried turkey. smiley - drool

It only takes about 3 minutes per pound.

Fingers Crossed

Post 13

Hypatia

That is definitely a good suggestion, CZ. I have a smoker, too. I could cook one in it. But that would take 12-14 hours. An other idea I've had is to cook it at mother's and then drive it to my house. I'll have to go over to pick her up an hour or so before lunch anyway. I could go over, put it in the oven, go back home and fix other stuff then go back. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to her house from mine.

Fingers Crossed

Post 14

AGA = conversation stopper, smiley - laugh

Fingers Crossed

Post 15

Spaceechik, Typomancer

If I may butt in here, a friend of mine just got an induction cooktop and she loves it. The only thing she doesn't like is that you have to use ferrous metal pans, and a couple of her faves aren't. It's more energy efficent, in that it cooks quickly, and safer, as you could lay you hand on the "burner" after you've taken the pan off, and you won't be burned.

RE: the gas stove. Does you gas company give free assessment calls? Here, if you have a problem with your gas line, they come out and check t for you. No one wants a gas fire!

Fingers Crossed

Post 16

Hypatia

I'll call the gas company and see what they recommend, Sc. smiley - ta

The crawl space was found and uncovered yesterday afternoon. This afternoon BC#1 will attempt to get under the house and see what the situation is there. We're making progress.

Fingers Crossed

Post 17

Ah ha good news..........smiley - biggrin

Fingers Crossed

Post 18

Hypatia

More good news. There is indeed a gas line already in place. It was capped and pushed through the floor when the electric stove was installed. So, woohoo for that.

The new stove will be delivered on Friday and BC#1 will be over Saturday morning to hook it up for me. smiley - biggrin

Fingers Crossed

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

Great news! smiley - biggrin

Fingers Crossed

Post 20

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I need a new cooker. First, the lid fell off, making it very awkward to actually use the hob. I have to have it open all the time, with a wooden spatula wedging the top open, because it can be a burger to get right first thing when I need coffee. Second, one of the turny things has fallen off. It's the one I use most for my coffee pot. Piddle.

Good to hear that you have a ready supply.

Key: Complain about this post