A Conversation for Venus Fly Traps

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 1

PC Pete

The Venus Fly-Trap will indeed eat dead prey, as long as the small trigger hairs on the trap itself are touched three times in sucession. The multiple touches are used so that the plant can differentiate between Rain and Food (I wish it was as easy when selecting the Soup at our canteen). I did once keep a Venus Fly-Trap alive for over a year by feeding it pieces of fried egg every Sunday Morning. Mother drew the line at giving the plant its own chair at meal-times, however.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I once fed a Venus Fly Trap - one I'd had for quite a long time - a piece of supermarket ground beef. It killed it almost instantly (plant time).

Carnivourous plants are one thing; but what I need is something actually predatory; something I can let loose to protect my gardens at night. The closest thing I've found is an Agave with leaves tipped with razor-sharp bayonets. All they do is stand sentry duty though.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 3

Roy, Not Marvin

Don't stop this line of thought! You're almost there! Why not fill your garden up with these sharp little buggers. I wouldn't want to be the first cat that comes to your garden to take a leak.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 4

Unfortunately, there is a maximum blood-loss threshold. This is the point where further increase in the number of deadly-spikey-thing is offset by the decrease in the amount of available gardener.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 5

Bluebottle

This is all very well, but you have forgotten the menace Venus Fly Traps pose to society. ALl though breeding them would be considered by many to be worthwhile and an alterbative to the traditional guard dog, you forget the casualties these plants create.
In fact, my sister was orphaned by a venus fly trap, and I've never forgiven her since.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 6

Patch things up and take her to the orphans picnic.

Dear listener, are we suddenly to find ourselves surrounded by Goons? "Private Eccles! Take this man outside and shoot him!"

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 7

Alys

What the world needs, and desperately at that, is a carnivorous plant that has been crossed with one of those charming motion-sensitive plants that curl up their leaves at the slightest movement. Naturally, certain adjustments would have to be made so that instead of retreating pathetically into a protective huddle, the plant would stretch out its spike-tipped branches as far and as fast as possible, impaling the offending burglars, cats or children before drawing them in to its acid-filled corpse-disposal unit. The simple addition of a few genes from phosphorescent algae would result in an aggressive sentry that doubles as a nightlight.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 8

Bluebottle

You rotten John the Gardener swine you!
You have deaded me again, with your predatory plants!
smiley - sadfacesmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadface

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 9

Roy, Not Marvin

Ever seen 'Day of the Triffids'?

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 10

Bluebottle

Yes I did, and the book was better....

The best film is, of course, "Little Shop Of Horrors"... although it is not exactly life-like.
How would you feed a carnivorous plant when you've gone away on holiday? If you give it to your parents to look after, who would feed who?

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 11

Omega

The book was much better. I thought the film missed out on the sense of doom etc... Enough film critic type stuff

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 12

Bluebottle

So the question remains, how would us animals protect ourselves from dangerous plants? And as burglar deterants, what use would they be if burglars could just use a match to kill them all??

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 13

Vlad aka Researcher 36645

To protect them from fire just add the genes of a water plant as used by that guy in Beverly Hills I think it was, to protect his house from the big forest fire they had there. All his neighbours were burnt out but these water plants with their high water content kept the flames at bay. Failing that get a Triffid they could move on their own.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 14

Vlad aka Researcher 36645

As a little kid I fed my VFT a piece of salami, it never opened up again.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 15

Bluebottle

Beware! The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Carniverous Plants will be after you!
How dare you do such a thing? Have you no morals????

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 16

DikMik

Is it possible for Venus Fly Traps to turn vegetarian? Would they chomp on passing lettuces and the like? Would this technically make them cannibals?

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 17

Omega

Not vegetarian, but possibly humanitarian. smiley - smiley

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 18

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

I put some jam in one of the traps in my Venus Fly Trap, and it caught a wasp. It killed the plant though.

It seems, looking at the evidence in this conversation, that if a Venus Fly Trap eats anything, in almost immediately dies. One wonders how they evolved in the first place.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 19

Articunox

Send out a Squarlaxis, this plant when taught properly, will devour even little dogs (bigger dogs when is grows)
This plant carnivour can also water your plants with eccess nutrients which is stores
This technique can be used during a dry draught.

Carnivourous Vegetables

Post 20

Wolf Knight

Has anyone tried feeding one of things a toffee or some Space Dust? It's almost worth buying one to try it. Maybe there's an underground group specializing in Venus Fly Trap fighting where you plant load of the really close together, film them over a very long period of time and sell speeded up videos on the black market. I used to have one as a kid too but became discouraged when I found a massive spider making its web over one - seems flies are a very competetive market.

Key: Complain about this post