This is the Message Centre for Researcher 195767

Hidden

Post 81

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Hi Saturnine smiley - smiley.

For once I must disagree with you....
"if people are offended, that is their own business"

It isn't. If we are grown ups we must take personal responsibility for our effect on other people and the world in general. If you are offensive to some people it is worth exploring why.

It could be of course that they have taken offence for reasons of dogma or prejudice. If it is, and we want to be responsible members of our community, then it is up to us to challenge that prejudice. To try to illuminate a dark corner with truth. If we do not that prejudice will be allowed to grow and strengthen, and will rise to challenge us again.

It could also be that we have inadvertently upset someone by not making ourselves clear, or because we have made unsupported assumptions about others. It is beholden upon us in this case to make good the situation with a certain humility. Humility is about far more than just saying sorry though. It requires us to try to maintain a sense of perspective about our place and effect upon our social environment.

You are not a selfish person Saturnine, so do not do yourself the disservice of appearing so smiley - winkeye.

Blessings,
Matholwch the Apostate /|\.

Hidden

Post 82

Atari - Tok'ra (With my symbiote Jullinar)

smiley - peacedove

Hidden

Post 83

Justin, could you please answer my questions at the top of the last page?

Hidden

Post 84

Saturnine

Math - Unlike Justin's self-deprecating nature, I really *am* offensive, just by my precense. I am by nature, someone who enjoys disruption, as well as someone who holds different views from others...human nature dictates that those who behave differently are not *right* and should be placated or expelled from the tribe. All the political correctness in the world will not wrench that instinct from people. So, by being someone who goes against the grain somewhat, I offend the very nature of people who just want to be able to say something ang have everyone agree with them and then go on their way. It may be something quite fundamental, like extreme religion...or it may be something quite simple. People who disrupt, offend.

However, there is a difference between the type of offending. If you mean deliberate...then of course I don't! There is no need for me to go and offend someone just for the sake of it. But it is hardly my fault, if on a forum like this, people get upset because I'm not kissing their rumps and telling them how wonderful they are. If I did that, I would not only be doing myself a disservice, but there would be no point in believing the things I believe. One of the fundamental stupid things about human life is their need for a great big GOD. Psychology dictates that that is how humans are...now am I supposed to apologise to people for holding a view and having a form of language that puts things across quite bluntly? Or is it Ok for me to express my views? I am not racist, sexist, anti-semetic, or any kind of basic prejudice. I don't really discriminate. I just have a great disdain for the way stupid people kill this world...

I appreciate what you were saying, but I think you need to take it into context Math. I'm not out here to make people feel secure in their lives. Not my responsibility. I'll leave that up to you... smiley - smiley

Hidden

Post 85

Saturnine

And no Math, I'm not selfish. I just define my own boundaries in life. I have a right to determine the input/output flow in my life...and even if I don't have a right, I'm going to do it anyway.

smiley - holly

Hidden

Post 86

Good for you! smiley - cool

Question

Post 87

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

You need to understand two things.
1.) Justin uses that explanation (you can't understand it or its not for your ears) whenever you ask a good question he can't come up with a good answer. Congradulations on getting him to say it.
2.) Justin contradicts himself all the time. This error is nothing unusal. But, please, keep looking and let him know when you find more.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Researcher 195767

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more