A Conversation for Ordering Concrete

Peer Review: A760079 - Concrete Companies

Post 1

dalamar7742

Entry: Concrete Companies - A760079
Author: dalamar7742 - U195447

A commentary on how best to deal with concrete companies when ordering.

A760079 - Concrete Companies

Post 2

Researcher PSG

Hello
I've just read you entry, and I think it is a good start, but I think it needs a bit of work.

My first reaction is the entry should be titled "How best to order concrete" or "Ordering concrete".
Second reaction it is a bit short, sorry thats how I feel.
How about an introduction saying what situation you may be in when you come to whish to order concrete, followed by sections on things to ask, and things to watch out for, and possibly a bit on how to prepare for its arrival.

Arart from those points I think this has the makings of a craking guide entry, please keep on with it.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Post 3

dalamar7742

I agree on the new title... Thanks. How do I change it? Guess I'll try the good old trial and error.

Post 4

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Hi,

The expression "slump" was new to me. Could you explain it the first time you use it? It's measured in inches, but what exactly is measured.

Similarly, I hadn't heard of PSI (pounds per square inch?) in connection with concrete. What is measured or expressed here?

Awu

Post 5

dalamar7742

Please find the suggested updates included in the listing. Thanks for the suggestion

Post 6

Researcher PSG

Hello Again
I'm assuming you haven't been with the guide long, and so aren't familiar with guideml, so I thought I would give you a few pointers on it to help the look of the entry.

Right you just put the text between the following tags:

heading text

subheading text

Paragraph written in here.

Then when your done, look below the text box change the marker from plain text to guideml, then press the change style button. Once the styles changed the entry will be reformatted using the tags and should look alot clearer.

Just a suggestion.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Post 7

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Excellent! And I learned something too. Thanks.
Awu

Post 8

Martin Harper

I was a little overwhelmed by all the techie talk - I didn't understand half the entry, and I rather get the impression that people who *do* understand it all, won't need it! smiley - bigeyes

Have you checked out A158609 - Concrete , btw?
-Lucinda

Post 9

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

Hmmm - unfortunately, the researcher hasn't posted to this site for just over two months - a move to the FM perhaps?

Stay smiley - cool,
WD

Post 10

Dr Hell

seconded

smiley - skullH

Post 11

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Time for a move methinks.

Post 12

Trout Montague

Generally, I believe that all the units should be metric.

Moreover, I believe that this Entry should clearly state in the opening paragraph that it is not to be referred to for taking delivery of any form of structural concrete where a predetermined structural strength is a requirement.

For record, the slump test (described in UK by BS 1881) is actually an indication (but not a measure) of the 'workability' of the mix, not its 'thickness'. Stating that 4" (~100 mm) is normal slump for almost any job is not strictly correct. Typically, pavings and precast units will need to be stiffer (say 75 mm) whilst slabs, beams and columns 'could' be wetter (up to 120mm slump). Thence, stating that "it is far easier to add water to the mix than to take it out" may be true, but it is an irregular and irresponsible approach to concrete. Concrete's structural integrity is largely influenced by the water/cement ratio of the mix. Adding water to improve the workability of a mix will decrease its structural strength. It is an absolute no-no and any respectable concrete delivery truck driver will not condone it.

Thus, in this regard, this entry (as it stands on 28 Sep 2002) needs to carry an explicit safety warning or it should be removed in its entirety.

Trout

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

So, who's going to make the move request? I'm happy to do it.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 14

Trout Montague

If it went to FleaMarket, I'd be tempted to turn it into something proper.

Post 15

So Dr T, you're an expert on concrete as well as on cheese? I'm mightily impressed smiley - cool

Post 16

Trout Montague

Concrete is my bread and butter, my friend.

Post 17

You must extremely good dentition in that case.

Post 18

Trout Montague

No, I don't eat bread and butter

Post 19

Trout Montague

I've picked up the ball and am running hard.

A884388

Thanks.

DMT

Post 20

dalamar7742

My entry was by USA ASTM standards and was for people who are doing sidewalks and patio's for home use. So keep this entry as is. It was never intended for building basement walls or schools and hospitals.

Key: Complain about this post