This is the Message Centre for friendlywithteeth

Cynical Marketing

Post 1

friendlywithteeth

It's just occured to me: the irony and cynicism of marketing. I was just watching MTV, and I watched a band called 'the calling' I think, anyways it doesnt really matter, it was just one of those bands that pretends to be rock, but at the same time has VERY scary eyebrows.

To the point!! He was wearing a t-shirt with a Soviet eagle on it, and I have seen some Che De Guavara t's as well, and it occured to me that it is the irony of ironies that the symbols of communism, which dont agree with personal wealth, are turned into ways to gain more money!! Is there nothing that people can't turn into a profit????

Losing faith in humanity here!!!

Cynical Marketing

Post 2

Sol

You should hear my (Russian) boyfriend on the subject. 'Course, his view is that wearing soviet symbols is tantramount to sticking a swastica on your chest and calling it cool, but there you go smiley - smiley

Cynical Marketing

Post 3

friendlywithteeth

I can understand what he's saying...though not as extreme: people wear these things without really understanding what they stand for, and I find it quite remarkable that market researchers can actually sell this stuff!

Cynical Marketing

Post 4

Sol

Oh well, as for why, it's a nice little bit of comfortable rebellion against society, with no strings attached. Except the hugely repressive society and bloodbaths, of course. But if the Russians don't mind, then who am I to quibble?

Cynical Marketing

Post 5

friendlywithteeth

me neither! I just thought 'twas quite funny!

Cynical Marketing

Post 6

Sol

And so 'tis smiley - biggrin

Cynical Marketing

Post 7

friendlywithteeth

Good Good!

Cynical Marketing

Post 8

Artenshiur, the perpetually pseudopresent

<>

you had any?

Cynical Marketing

Post 9

friendlywithteeth

Only because I'm an optimist!

Cynical Marketing

Post 10

heehee.

Cynical Marketing

Post 11

friendlywithteeth

Why: didn't you? I've got faith in myself (for the minute) and i'm human! [well in part]

Cynical Marketing

Post 12

Oh, that's just that little cynical demon that I've had wandering around my head since I was born. SD seems to have stoked it up a bit...

Cynical Marketing

Post 13

friendlywithteeth

so your not cynical: it's someone else: its always someone else isn't it smiley - winkeye

mwahahahahaha

Cynical Marketing

Post 14

oh, of course.

Cynical Marketing

Post 15

friendlywithteeth

smiley - tongueout

Cynical Marketing

Post 16

friendlywithteeth