A Conversation for Mostly Harmless MC- The H2G2 Motorcycle Club

UK Police Bikes dangerous

Post 1

IctoanAWEWawi

Seen a few news stories on this recently:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6657709.stm

In this case it is police ST1100 Pan Europeans.

"Merseyside Police motorcyclist David Shreeve was crushed under a lorry after falling from his Honda ST 1300A."
"The inquest in April heard that the problem, known as high speed weave, only affects the police version of the motorcycles as they are fitted with extra kit which affects the centre of gravity."

Whilst in no way wanting to lessen the tragedy of another biker's death, I remember the same thing happening back in the 90s with Police K1100's (I think it was - big BMW anyway). Exactly the same reason too, all that extra kit at the back made the bike unstable at speed.
And they had the same thing with Police Range Rovers - in that case they weren't withdrawn they just said that the recommended top speed was 80mph and if the officer decided to go above that then it was his choice and responsibility.

Does make me wonder what sort of testing they do on these to check they work ok. I mean once is bad and an indication of a missed check somewhere. But twice?

Post 2

Jemstone

Eek! That's flamin' scarey. And..... "In one test an examiner broke a leg and fractured both wrists after experiencing similar problems." Let's hope they withdraw them all without more harm coming to anyone.
smiley - biker

Post 3

YOGABIKER

Motorbikes are kinda dangerous. smiley - run

smiley - biker

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more