A Conversation for Mostly Harmless MC- The H2G2 Motorcycle Club

Count me in

Post 1

Greybeard the Pirate

smiley - pirate I'd like to join MHMC, please. smiley - grovel
As will be obvious later, I must confess to being a BAB. smiley - winkeye

First bike: Honda CD175 light twin (K-reg - 71/72?) bought in 73.
In those days, learners could ride bikes up to 250cc (no bhp limit!).
Having been driving cars for a few years, I immediately applied for my test. Three weeks later, I answered a few questions on the Highway Code, rode round the block twice and performed an emergency stop. That was it! smiley - biggrin I tore up my L-plates and I was free to buy any bike of any power. Bit different from today, eh!
I stuck with the Honda, though. It was a great little commuter and also managed to transport me from Cornwall to Bournemouth and then on to Essex and through the Netherlands, Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg (in November!).
My next bike was a big mistake smiley - dohsmiley - blush - a Jawa 350. Overweight, overheight, underpowered and unreliable. In other words - c**p.
Marriage & children then intervened for 16 years.
I resumed biking on a Kawasaki Z200, followed in rapid succession by a Suzuki GS550 (which succumbed to the evil smiley - devil ministrations of a tractor & trailer smiley - injured - but that's another story), a Suzuki GS850GT and a Yamaha FJ1200. I loved the Yam - we rode many miles together (yet another story there).
Until recently, I rode a Yam XJ900, but now have a Kawasaki ZX-10, which is very exciting smiley - winkeye.
Virtual bike: that jet-powered yank thing I've seen in the mags which costs loads of dosh, but exceeds 250 mph (400 kph to you antipodeans!)
smiley - cheerssmiley - piratebeard

Count me in

Post 2

Greybeard the Pirate

smiley - doh I forgot to add a .
smiley - grr What do you mean - "there isn't one"?. smiley - steam There d**n well should be! smiley - steam
smiley - cheerssmiley - piratebeard(grey)

Count me in

Post 3

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

I get so depressed and angry smiley - grr that there isn't a smiley - biker smiley yet!!!

I've come to the conclusion that I am a smiley - bikersmiley - chick so at least I have half my own smiley. smiley - winkeye

BTW It took me ages before anyone said YES to me becoming a member so dont hold your breath smiley - bluesmiley - biggrin

Well, you certainly qualify more than I did at becoming a member, or did I become a member because I was female? hmmmm curious, I will have to sit and ponder that one.

Count me in

Post 4

Greybeard the Pirate

Hi VV. Good of you to reply smiley - ta. I feel I know you already, having read many of your postings. How's the 535 going, or is "she" still winterised? I've seriously considered one for the future, when anno domini makes my legs too stiff to stretch over a bigger bike (the little things sometimes struggle now smiley - puff).
It actually stopped raining a while ago smiley - biggrin, so I just had to take the Kwakka out for a blat along the bypass smiley - runsmiley - flyhi. Boy, do I feel better for that!smiley - laugh
smiley - cheers 4 now. smiley - pirate

Count me in

Post 5

BadZen

Welcome to the club!

smiley - cheers

I'll update the membership page in the new year, just off to do a little celebrating first...

Badsmiley - zen

Count me in

Post 6

and perhaps some more naked protesting smiley - winkeye

Count me in

Post 7

Greybeard the Pirate

I'll drink to that smiley - blush !! smiley - winkeye
smiley - cheers

Count me in

Post 8

Ralph, the Janitor - Keeper of Magic Tricks that don't work (and some that do!)

At this point I'll drink to nearly anything!

smiley - bikerRtJsmiley - cheers

Count me in

Post 9

Hows your heads then people? smiley - biggrin

Count me in

Post 10

Pond_Rat [life is weird - laugh at it.]

Fine Thanks Vicki. I went to bed early smiley - biggrin

Count me in

Post 11

About 12 hours before I did. Or have I not got my sums correct?smiley - erm

Count me in

Post 12

BadZen

The membership page has been updated smiley - biggrin

Greybeard, are you talking about the thing that Jay Leno(? Tonight show? host) has - the beast that melted the bumper of a hapless car driver who got too close at traffic lights? smiley - laugh

smiley - cheers

Count me in

Post 13

Welcome and congratulations Greybeard!!! smiley - hug

You were quicker joining than I was. Or was that because a certain someone wasn't logged on? smiley - winkeye

Count me in

Post 14

Pond_Rat [life is weird - laugh at it.]

Hey, poor Master Badsmiley - zen had good excuses ... at least I believed 'im smiley - cool woman troubles and/or the serious need for some lone motorcycle time. When the smiley - dragon within calls one must heed the need smiley - biggrin

Count me in

Post 15

Very poetical PR!!! smiley - laugh

Just remember it was an excuse. Us women aren't realy nasty. (well not me anyway)

Count me in

Post 16

Greybeard the Pirate

smiley - ta Badsmiley - zen & VV. I feel honoured and humbled to be accepted as a member of such an illustrious association smiley - grovelsmiley - winkeye.

You're probably right about Jay Leno, BZ. I've done a little more research and discovered it's a Marine Turbine Technologies Y2K (that dates it !) powered by a Rolls-Royce gas turbine (Spey?) and costs a mere US$150,000 smiley - yikes. Fantastic in a straight line, but not so hot on the corners smiley - bigeyessmiley - biggrin.

smiley - cheerssmiley - pirate

Count me in

Post 17

Your welcome Greybeard.

I just had a horrible thought. Not for me, but for you Greybeard.

You know you bought your first bike in 1973? I wasn't even born then! It was another 2 years before the world had to cope with me in its midst.smiley - winkeye

Well, I think on hootoo, we should all be of the same age. What about 27? Then everyone can be the same age as me.smiley - biggrin

Count me in

Post 18

Greybeard the Pirate

VV smiley - bikersmiley - chick/smiley - diva
smiley - huh As a '50-something' going on 18, I have no problem with that smiley - silly, but I doubt if my 24-year-old daughter would be too delighted. smiley - wah
BTW, have you resumed your naked smiley - towelsmiley - bikersmiley - smiley protest? - I have - it's not a pretty sight smiley - winkeye
smiley - cheerssmiley - pirate

Count me in

Post 19

Ralph, the Janitor - Keeper of Magic Tricks that don't work (and some that do!)

27 sounds great to me, although I'm closer to twice that. When I was younger I was much more mature and responsible than I am now!
RtJsmiley - biker

Count me in

Post 20

BadZen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/FFM79114?thread=214326&skip=140&show=20#p2806208

Membership page has been updated too smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more