A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

New book on Devon dialect

Post 1

Ozzie Exile

A new book on Devon dialect has been published.

Whilst this book has been publicised in a number of articles, one of the better samples comes from a Cornish publication.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/New-book-Devon-dialect-digs-dozens-Cornish-terms/story-20989433-detail/story.html

A slightly more limited article comes from the WEH

www.plymouthherald.co.uk/strangest-Devonshire...Devon/.../story.html

As the second article says, the book comes in two parts. The first part is vocabulary, the second is made up of anecdotes and stories that use the dialect.

For me, a number of words are familiar, but a few are new.

What do you think? Has anyone read this book?

Post 2

Ozzie Exile

The correct link to the second article is as follows

http://www..co.uk/strangest-Devonshire-words-revealed-book-Devon/story-20955222-detail/story.html

Post 3

parrferris

A word of caution - if you already own any publication on this subject, no matter how slim, you should probably save your money. This little volume is unlikely to contain much you will find new, interesting or amusing; the publicity it's getting is mostly down to the distributors managing to foist shippers full on supermarkets and other retailers across the county just in time for the tourist season.

On the other hand, I suppose, if you're new to the subject, or you think someone else could be interested, the book is a brief digest of the existing works in a handy hardback format.

Just my humble opinion of course - and one that's unlikely to help me shift any of the pile of copies I have at work!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more