This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

Bar 7:11

Post 1

Beatrice

Salutations! I am on ma way to Perths oldest hotel, called The Salutation, and known locally as "the Sally". Later this evening there will be Scottish country dancing, and I am looking forward to meeting friends old and new.

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Scottish dancing? smiley - huh

Would that be with kangaroos? Or are you talking about some Perth that isn't in Australia?

[The neighborhood I'm living in used to be the site of Scottish bands that came from all over Massachusetts to perform. It was called Caledonian Grove, and there were track meets as well as the music. This was in the 1920s through the 1940s.

Post 4

Beatrice

Perth in Perthshire, Scotland, on the lovely river Tay. The dancing was fantastic, but the walls in this hotel aren't sound proof, and there's an animated conversation going on next door....

Post 5

Beatrice

Just discovered that Beatles stayed here. Also boris Johnston and Gareth gates.

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm sure the dancing was enjoyable to watch. My area is no longer as Scots-centric as it used to be. It's far more common now to see Irish dancing.

Post 7

Beatrice

To watch or as an activity? Scottish country dancing is for doing. At the ball last night there were a handful of people not dancing, but about 500 who were. And they were dressed in all their finery, dress kilts for the men, and formal gowns for the ladies. Country dancing is done in sets, usually of 4 couples, and it's frowned upon to dance with the same partner all evening, so it's a very sociable activity. The live band last night was excellent, and there were moments when their music, and 500 people moving in synch, gave me a genuine sense of euphoria.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Beatrice

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more