This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

Bea 3.11

Post 1

Beatrice

One of the nice things about being away for the weekend, and consequently being stuck at airports for long periods of time, is that I get to read. I never can find the time to read during a normal week (or whatever passes for "normal" round here). So, along with the almond croissant, which I only ever eat at airports, it's an enjoyable way to pass the time and catch up on some Pratchett.

The downside is that I am prone to laughing out loud at bits. Currently on my kindle I'm reading Thief Of Time, and some of the Way of Mrs Cosmopilite has had me shrieking with delight. I particularly like:

Is it not written - I have only one pair of hands.

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

And the ultimate response to all questions -

Because.

(Which I'm still wont to spell BeaCause, and I'm sure there's a witty name pun gag in there)

Bea 3.11

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I wonder if Pratchett fans read other authors in similar genres? They could be forgiven if they don't, as Pratchett has been so mind-bogglingly prolific. It took me a year to get through the whole DiscWorld series.

Likewise fans of books like "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell," which runs to 800+ pages. It was the 2004 first novel by British writer Susanna Clarke, who is rumored to be working on a sequel. If the sequel is as long as the first book, that will be a 1,600-page commitment on the part of anyone who tries to read both books. smiley - online2long. Researchers who post about Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings seem not to have heard of Jonathan Strange, which seems odd to me, given how important magic is in the plot.

Bea 3.11

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

I'm not sure what a similar Genre would be but the Mercury books are something that I bet would appeal to readers of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett alike.

If only I could remember the right title and the author's name smiley - senior

Bea 3.11

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Are you thinking of "Mercury Falls" by Robert Kroese? I guess I'll have to look that one up, too. smiley - smiley

Bea 3.11

Post 5

Icy North

Just downloaded a short radio version of Pratchett's 'Eric' off BBC iplayer. Maybe I'll cover it in a future journal...

Bea 3.11

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

that's the one - if it's the first one, paulh

there are 4 and a prequel as far as I know and they are... well, chaotic, frankly. I love them.

Bea 3.11

Post 7

Superfrenchie

I *really* need to get to work on the Discworld novels. smiley - book

Bea 3.11

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

They're not all good. The later ones get a bit tiresome. The first three are also not great, so you might be best starting with the fourth one "Mort" and only going back to read the first three when you're convinced you like them.

Bea 3.11

Post 9

Superfrenchie

smiley - ok Thanks for the tip, Gnomon.

Bea 3.11

Post 10

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Just 'accidentally' bought Mercury Falls for me Kindle.

Bea 3.11

Post 11

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Bea 3.11

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

oh let me know what you think of that, Mags!

Bea 3.11

Post 13

hellboundforjoy

A friend gave me the Strange and Norell book a few years back. I got about a third of the way through it...so far. It was entertaining but such a commitment.

Key: Complain about this post