This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

in shock

Post 1

Beatrice

Dai was headed to a wedding this weekend - one of the Gambia Calums Road riders, who'd actually proposed to his wife while they were on the trip. They were married by Elvis in Vegas a week ago, and this is to be the celebration with friends.

Except we just heard that one of the other riders was killed in an accident this morning. One of the most experienced riders, a real chilled out and relaxed guy, and one of our best friends.

It still hasn't sunk in smiley - sadface

in shock

Post 2

BMT

smiley - rosesmiley - spacesmiley - cuddlesmiley - space sorry to hear that, condolences all round.

smiley - cat

in shock

Post 3

toybox

smiley - rose

Sorry to hear that smiley - cuddle

in shock

Post 4

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

What a shock, Bea smiley - hug

smiley - rose

in shock

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I hate motorbikes, I hear of so many riders who don't survive to old age. Condolences Beasmiley - hug

smiley - rose

in shock

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

smiley - hug
sorry to hear that Bea

in shock

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

Very sorry to hear that, bea.

My condolences. smiley - rose

in shock

Post 8

Milla, h2g2 Operations

smiley - cuddle
send one for Dai from me.

smiley - towel

in shock

Post 9

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

I'm so sorry Bea smiley - hug

smiley - rosesmiley - peacedovesmiley - rose

in shock

Post 10

Rev Nick

Our sympathies to both of you, for the loss of your friend. smiley - rose

in shock

Post 11

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

*hugs* Awful sorry to hear that... condolences.

in shock

Post 12

You can call me TC

Such a spate of tragic deaths at the moment. I am so sorry, Bea. Was the celebration called off?

smiley - hug for you and smiley - hug for Roger.

in shock

Post 13

Beatrice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11492054

Gert was the 49 year old. Dutch by birth, he was proud to be an honorary Scot, and wore his kilt with a big grin. I danced the Dashing White Seargeant with him and his wife at the ceili earlier this year - he was first on the dance floor and approached dancing like he did everything in life, with great zest and enthusiasm.

He was probably the most experienced rider of the bunch - usually rode at the back of the pack ready to stop and help if needed. And he rode his bike to work every day. The same bike that he rode through sub-zero temperatures in January this year, across a minefield and through Mauritania.

In The Gambia he was the most adventurous - the one who dared to go near a crocodile, the first passenger in the sidecar ambulance (the one who crawled into the innards of the thing to get it working!), the guy holding the bottle of Jaegermeister that we drained in an Indian restaurant. The first to get a round of chilled Julbrews in, and the one to sort out the bill at the end of the evening. The guy who could negotiate with border guards, and who took the best photos. An absolute diamond.

I haven't heared if Andres is going ahead with his celebrations, he and his wife are in shock as well.

Thank you all for your hugs, we need them.

in shock

Post 14

Beatrice

A63617682

Photo near the bottom - Roger's riding, Gert's in the sidecar.

in shock

Post 15

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - cuddle

in shock

Post 16

Beatrice

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1954309?UserKey=

A write up in the lcoal paper, underlining just what a wonderful human being he was.

in shock

Post 17

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Oh hell.

in shock

Post 18

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rose I'm sorry for your loss.

It's obvious that your friend will be much missed.

in shock

Post 19

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

He sounds like a remarkable man who was much loved and will leave a huge hole in the community.

Key: Complain about this post