This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

MHMC

Post 1

IctoanAWEWawi

Wotcha,

I guess it is indeed a BBCid problem.
I know I didn't upgrade the account - and I bet you didn't either. Not seen BadZen about for ages so I guess there is only us two with any rights.

I also can't remember the login for the email account.

I think it is probably worth having a word with the Eds, via email, and either setting up a new MHMC_Admin account or changing the password and email account for the existing one.

BTW if you wanna email me I'm now on googlemail and may email name is the first 6 and last 4 letters of my display name here. No caps or anything else, just those 10 chars as one word.
Oh and I think the googlemail I use is a dot com. Not that it prob makes any difference but there ya go!

MHMC

Post 2

Beatrice

Thanks, I'll se what I can do via the Eds!

You still riding much these days?

MHMC

Post 3

IctoanAWEWawi

as and when, not as much as I used to as just don't have the time. And when I do collapsing into a comfy chair with a good book or brainless DVD is the most attractive.

Actually bikes off road at the moment. Needs an MOT and tax after being stored over winter. Also needs a proper service as last time I rode it it was really clattery from the tappets. I have a horrible suspicion that the cam chain tensioner has gone as well, it is a fault on the old CB/R motors. I mean they are always noisy when cold but this was more than one would expect. And since I ain't got a garage been waiting for warmer/drier weather before taking the rocker cover off and sorting it out.

But I shall be back in the saddle soon!

You?

MHMC

Post 4

Beatrice

Mine's SORNed at the minute, and I may well have to sell it, finances being the way they are smiley - sadface

MHMC

Post 5

IctoanAWEWawi

oooh, not good!
I've got to send the SORN for mine off asap, end of month it runs out and I won't have it serviced and MOTd by then unfortunately.

Still, just get yourself a ratty old moped and ride it up down the farm/rail tracks. Seems you don't need any license or tax or anything for that smiley - winkeye

MHMC

Post 6

MHMC

Ok the Eds have been brilliant (Thanks Sam!) and I've now set up a new admin account U14399180 linked to one of my email addresses, so I'll be able to update as required.

Might stick something in this week's Post to try to get some interest from new researchers - there's an awful lot of names on that Members List who aren't around these days smiley - sadface

smiley - biker

MHMC

Post 7

Beatrice

Bel's happy to run something in the next Post - have you any words of wisdom or enticements to new members, or to encourage existing members to be more active?

MHMC

Post 8

IctoanAWEWawi

Me? I'm hardly active myself!

I guess the usual call for stories, advice, tips and tricks, how to keep safe, basic things to do to maintain your bike, different requirements for different countries or states, any odd little rules and regs.

Um. Just general chit chat as well. All shapes, sizes and experience levels welcome, that sort of thing I think.

MHMC

Post 9

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - biro
Note to Beatrice:

It was encouraging to see you’re taking the time to resurrect the MHMC thread, in BadZen’s absence. I stumbled upon it via a series of “drill down” links while searching for “mostly harmless” on H2G2. I’d love to be added to the Member List, when you have a moment, and I hope Bel gives the Club a bit of exposure in smiley - thepost. She’s good about that sort of thing, so…no worries.
smiley - ok
As for me, my Application reads thusly:

First Bike: [ridden] Yamaha 125 (Borrowed = Toyota Corona with hairline crack in engine block. Florida summer riding! Tough to explain to owner how I wrecked trying to chase down license of tourist who almost killed two bikers by driving ~between~ us!) First Bike: [owned] Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Plasma Blue) which almost turned me into a statistic at exactly one month and 930.8 miles of riding. Got right back in the saddle (after insurance settlement) and ditched the “crotch rocket” for a “cruiser.”

Current Bike: Honda CBR 750 Nighthawk (black) with a Betty Boop decal on the front fender. Betty has been a wonderful (slower) ride to and from work, along a very scenic two-lane road that winds through woods and a river valley. She avoids deer, possums, skunks, frogs, and lazy drivers who swing wide on the curves. Betty carries a good-sized handbag (trunk) suitable for a book bag (Lunch!) or my helmet (between rides).

Virtual Bike(s): BMW R16 (yesterday, because my Opa used to ride one); BMW S1000RR (today, because it’s top-of-the-line new); Yamaha Deus Ex Machina (tomorrow, because of the sheer thrill of ‘being one with the machine’).
smiley - tardis
Yes, I’m in the United States, in the middle of the country, in the middle of the state of Missouri. When the weather is even “fair to middling,” I hop on the bike and go. For the most part, it’s the scenic work route, but I’ve also indulged myself in just following a road to see where it leads. I’ve missed the Ride for Life (cancer charity ride) activities this year because of the Refueling Outage at our Power Plant, but plan to attend other such rides in future. I’m hoping my wife eventually gets over her squeamishness of motorcycles so I can take her riding pillion in our beautiful countryside. Unfortunately, Betty (the bike) doesn’t have pontoon outriggers, so I won’t be joining y’all for any rides in Europe.
smiley - sadface
B4ifindsomeway2modifyBettywithwings&rudderinordertoemulatetheConcorde

MHMC

Post 10

Beatrice

Brillianr, B4! Betty sounds like a keepersmiley - smiley

I'm in the middle of the Irish Sea at the minute, but I'll add you in the next 24 hours.

Welcome aboard!

MHMC

Post 11

IctoanAWEWawi

Hey - welcome B4!

Another Honda rider - you meet the nicest people on a Honda smiley - winkeye

I've never understood why the US market gets different model names for bikes. What's wrong with just Honda CB750? Still, a decent bike that doesn't get the acclaim it deserves I feel.

OTOH I guess calling it a 'Nighthawk' is no less dubious than mine being called the 'Big One' smiley - laugh

MHMC

Post 12

smiley - wow
Beatrice has cutting edge technology? Interweb on the high seas? How cool is that!?
smiley - biggrin
No hurry to process my Application, dear lady; I'm just glad I've passed the initial screening. In the meanwhile, I'll just potter around the Club garage, adjusting a few things on Betty. Y'all don't mind if I use the tools, do you?
smiley - doctor
Ictoan, you're right about the naming conventions in different countries. When I tried to cross-reference "Honda Nighthawk" on the web, it kept pointing me to the CB750. I scratched my head for a while, until the other synapse fired and I realized most everyone else in the world calls it by its engine size.
smiley - doh
Anyway, I'll make myself comfortable by taking a tour of the Club and the Bikers' Rest while the necessary documents are filed.
smiley - biker
B4someoneoffers2showmeoneofthemoretwistyridingroutes

MHMC

Post 13

MHMC

Ok that was a very long 24 hours, but you're now added to the list!

Modern tehcnology is indeed a wonderful thing, and I was indeed posting with the aid of a netbook and a dongle from a boat crossing the Irish Sea smiley - smiley

MHMC

Post 14

smiley - raisedeyebrow
[staid, prim, proper] Mme Beatrice, I thank you for accomplishing the add to the MHMC, however, you need never divulge your personal escapades, whether with "electronic media" or "dangly bits", ever again. You've implanted a mental image it may take quite some time to expunge.
smiley - laugh
Seriously, though, thanks for including me in the ranks. Now I feel I can brag to the group about the new tires I've installed on my Honda Nighthawk. They're a set of Pirelli Sport Demon tires, 110/80-18 Front, 150/70-17 Rear. I tried to get a slightly wider Front tire, for a nominally larger contact patch, but the style doesn't come in that size. I wouldn't have believed putting a "new pair of shoes" on Betty would improve her gait and agility so dramatically, but it certainly did. Straight-line is solid and without wobble (even with hands off the bars); curves are smooth and fluid, with lots of lean angle available. Had the tires mounted professionally at a reputable shop in Jefferson City, MO (half hour south), but I did all the disassemble / reassemble work myself. Great greasy fun!
smiley - biker
I've only run the twisties to and from work, plus a stint on the highway to check the top end (120mph), and am still waiting for a Poker Run tour in the next couple of weeks. My wife has asked me to consider taking her pillion riding, but she wants to be sure I've got the strength to hold up the bike and her, as well. Working on it. Got the Bowflex at the ready!
smiley - nahnah
Next acquisition is one of those brake lights that flashes several times, then goes solid bright, when you engage the brakes. I understand it catches car drivers' attention more effectively. I've also purchased a set of highly reflective flame decals and wheel rim stripes to make me more visibile to drivers. I expect some of the flames will be situated so it seems ~they~ are what's making Betty Boop's dress flutter up like that. Other flames will be on the tank, on the side covers, and on the Emgo cargo box. There should be plenty enough left over for me to add some flames to the white Fulmer M-1 helmet.
smiley - magic
B4thisrunson2longwithoutactuallyaddinganycontent2thethread

MHMC

Post 15

IctoanAWEWawi

sounds like you are having fun!
Tyre choice really can make quite a difference.
I've always been a Bridgestone man but they stopped making tyres that fit my bike a couple of years back (very difficult to get hold of large 18inch tyres). So instead I ended up with a set of Avons. The front is an exact match but the rear is slightly oversize - a 180/55 rather than a 170/60. Size wise hasn't made a difference but where there Bridgestones are really good in the dry and at speed, the Avons match that plus are far, far better in the wet.

"Next acquisition is one of those brake lights that flashes several times, then goes solid bright, when you engage the brakes."
I haven't seen those, do you have a linky to somewhere that sells/makes them?

MHMC

Post 16

smiley - biker
Ictoan, here are a few I pulled up with a quick search:
smiley - discosmiley - disco
http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/
http://www.hyperlites.com/
http://www.customdynamics.com/
smiley - bluelight
It's a start. Vroom-vroom!
smiley - biker
B4youendupblindingthedriverbehindyou

MHMC

Post 17

MHMC

Aha! Have successfully migrated the MHMC over to noohootoo.

Biker Bea smiley - biker

MHMC

Post 18

IctoanAWEWawi

woo! Nice one Bea!

BTW, if you want help again with this place email me again on my google as before and let me know.

Key: Complain about this post