This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

hello neighbour

Post 1

Mauritania

I would just like to say hello, since your my closest h2g2 neigbour number wise!

hello neighbour

Post 2

Beatrice

Hello! Nice of you to drop in.

Do you want to borrow a cup of sugar or anything?

hello neighbour

Post 3

Recumbentman

Interesting quest for neighbours. Nice to come across you there.

Are you doing another nude calendar?

Your calculation of 42 is very neat; mine involves a sidestep. However you might like to put in the symbol for "plus-or-minus" which is

±

rather than +/- because the / sign if taken as "divided by" would give you not 42 but infinity. Or you might not.

hello neighbour

Post 4

Beatrice

Oh thank you most arithmetically!smiley - biggrin

I see you've found your way to the nude calendar shoot smiley - bigeyessmiley - ok

hello neighbour

Post 5

Recumbentman

Ah yes. What poem is that you want voted for? Nothing Vogon I hope.

hello neighbour

Post 6

Beatrice

h2g2 Christmas poem contest in The Post.

It's a T S Elliott inspired bit of doggrel (my favourite style!)called The Nativity Play, which I wrote after creasing with laughtersmiley - rofl at my kids' school production this year.

hello neighbour

Post 7

Recumbentman

Nice poem! Strangely reminiscent of "Love Actually" which I went to see with wife and sister-in-law last night. Awwwww.

Sorry, I couldn't in all conscience vote for it. I have a rule never to vote for a poem with the word "o'er" in it. Too, how can I say this politely, no way, I'm afraid, I'll just say it very quietly , in brackets:

(vogon)

I suppose that gets me right off the calendar shoot. Too bad.

I had to vote for Max head room's "Sinterklaas". Strangely exotic, visual, nostalgic, wryly sentimental . . . and no o'ers anywhere.

hello neighbour

Post 8

Beatrice

Well "o'er"s quite useful when you're trying to make something scan...smiley - erm..but you're right, it is twee.

hello neighbour

Post 9

Recumbentman

Ah, it's just to me, o'er is sort of Pete and Dud if you know what I mean.

hello neighbour

Post 10

Beatrice

mmm...it's hard to convey the right sense of irony on the printed page...er...screen...

hello neighbour

Post 11

Recumbentman

O'ers are very welcome in Grimley Moer -- have you had a go? F19585?thread=283765

You certainly can do the doggerel style, your talents wold be appreciated there . . . there's a hiatus in the ""plot"" at the moment.

hello neighbour

Post 12

tourdelux

Loved the poem Luckystar smiley - ok. If you want to know, the Sinterklaas poem is a translation of a traditional dutch Sinterklaas song:

Zie ginds komt de stoomboot uit Spanje weer aan.
Hij brengt ons Sint Nicolaas,
Ik zie hem al staan.
Hoe huppelt zijn paardje het dek op en neer,
Hoe waaien de wimpels al heen en al weer.

We used to always sing it for Sinterklaas smiley - smiley.

Wotchit

hello neighbour

Post 13

tourdelux

Oh and I meant to mention I saw you at the concert today, but was busy heading upstairs to pack up so I couldn't stop and say hello.

hello neighbour

Post 14

Recumbentman

Well! I was about to withdraw my vote for Sinterklaas, but I just remembered that Seamus Heaney won a literary award for his translation of Beowulf. A bit rotten all the same not to confess that it's a translation: that's where he got the exotic colouring, the antique weirdness, the lively imagery and all the things I raved about. Lucky Star, you was robbed (of my vote at least).smiley - star

hello neighbour

Post 15

Beatrice

Thank you thank you!

Wotchit you were simply splendid at the concertsmiley - biggrin I did give you a little smiley - applause as you passed.

Do you get SinterKlaas pressies AND Father Christmas ones then?

hello neighbour

Post 16

tourdelux

smiley - smiley Yes we get both smiley - giftsmiley - gift. But normally for Sinterklaas it's just sweets and a dutch book (nice dutch sweets mind).

I'm guessing the little smiley - monster is in the choir, poor thing smiley - winkeye.

hello neighbour

Post 17

Beatrice

The little smiley - angel is in the choir - t'other one was back home landing an airbussmiley - laugh

I do always cry smiley - cry on hearing Christmas Carols - that Noel Nowella one was new to me - it was gorgeous.

hello neighbour

Post 18

tourdelux

smiley - biggrin

I did think I saw you holding a hanky smiley - smiley. The Noel Nouvelette is a french carol. Our conductor arranged it, very nice. smiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Beatrice

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more