A Conversation for The Freedom From Faith Foundation

Power to the people!

Post 1

Gone again

"Take two countries in which the bottom 20 per cent are equally poor, but the top five per cent in one are richer than their counterparts in the other. Common sense would suggest that the country with more resources at the top would have the lower infant mortality rate. But the reverse is the case: the babies of the poor are more likely to die in the country whose rich are wealthier." an excerpt from "Unity is Health: An Evolutionary Left" by Marek Kohn (http://human-nature.com/nibbs/02/kohn.html)

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Power to the people!

Post 2

Noggin the Nog

Why am I not surprised?

Why am I also not surprised that crime rates soar when disparities in wealth are maximised?

Why do I think that radical insecurity is not conducive to a civilised society?

Why do I think the aims of socioecenomic policy in this country are seriously misconceived?

Rhetorical questions, of course.

Noggin

Power to the people!

Post 3

Gone again

<>

Well I *was* surprised when I read the article. It's all in keeping with my existing beliefs, so I wasn't surprised in that sense. It was the fact that greater disparities of wealth seem - of themselves - to lead to greater hardships for the less well off. That did surprise me. I expected, as common sense would suggest, that a more prosperous country would have lower infant mortality. This just confirms my lifelong suspicion that reality is non-intuitive. [Think about quantum theory, the most non-intuitive theory ever devised, which seems to match the real world better than any other!]

<>

Seeking rhetorical answers? smiley - winkeye

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Power to the people!

Post 4

Jose Minge, Chair and Keeper of The Imperial Deafness, don't you know.

Err am I right in thinking that if I plead to join in this thread as Chair of Imperial Deafnes I may be allowed to join the forum, hmmm?

Power to the people!

Post 5

GTBacchus

It'd be best to announce yourself in the Business Forum thread - F80629?thread=155651&latest=1 - which is where everyone's subscribed and where most of the action is. Don't worry about interrupting the discussion going on there; it happens all the time. Meanwhile, I reckon I can go ahead and add you to the roster. Wecome aboard, Jose.

smiley - cheers
GTB

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more