A Conversation for The Freedom From Faith Foundation

I believe what I see?

Post 1

Gone again

Although this link is about lying, and whether we can tell when people are doing it, it ends with a couple of stories about perception, and how perceptive we aren't! smiley - biggrin Interesting.

http://www.nature.com/nsu/020923/020923-6.html

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

I believe what I see?

Post 2

GTBacchus

Wasn't that the principle behind SEP fields?

I believe what I see?

Post 3

Gone again

You lost me. smiley - erm What's a SEP field?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

I believe what I see?

Post 4

GTBacchus

Sorry, I shouldn't assume...

An SEP field is a Somebody Else's Problem field. It was described by Douglas Adams in "Life, The Universe and Everything":

(Moderator - Mr Adams said we could quote his books here)

"The Somebody Else's Problem field relies on people's natural predisposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting or can't explain."

He says a bit more about it, but nothing quite succinct enough to just quote here...

I believe what I see?

Post 5

Gone again

smiley - biggrin Sometimes it frightens me how visionaries like DNA make up stuff outrageous enough to become real! smiley - bigeyes

That's why I posted that quote from Dr Woods (some other thread here in the FFFF-zone), as I believe he was quite correct to note that god has a sense of humour, therefore he must exist. smiley - winkeye I'm sure DNA's reasoning would (or did) run along similar lines. smiley - ok

RL - the most fictitious of all environments.

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

I believe what I see?

Post 6

Gone again

<>

Apart from the fact that he was a dedicated atheist, that is.... smiley - winkeye

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more