A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Doctor Who

Post 2981

Galigan

Stumbled across the Sci-Fi channel thing yesterday, a classic Tom Baker episode with none other than Sarah Jane Smith in it. Something about insects taking over a ship where the crew were all in cryogenic suspension. Quite good actually, and nice and long so could properly get into it. Contrasted interestingly with the new 45 minute episode format.

Doctor Who

Post 2982

Alfster

'Ark In Space' Baker's second episode as The Dr. Saw it last week.

Going through his first season at the moment and waiting for The Sontaran Experiment to come free on 'Lovefilm'. The first Baker season has stories that follow on from each other.

Ark was a great story...some people would laugh at the bubblewrap SFX etc but it was a good story developed overs good period and hence one felt the story evolve as well as the characters.

On the DVD there was a option to have modern CGI rendering of the space-station rather than the Matt Irvine models. I had a look and it just didn't look right somehow.

Doctor Who

Post 2983

Alfster

If you want to see some Dr Who episodes go to Youtube and click on the TV show button near the top. There are a range of Dr Who stories you can watch including Pertwee's final one 'Planet of the Spiders'.

Doctor Who

Post 2984

Orcus

Anyone still discussing things then? Was it me or did we have an SEP field inthe new series tonight?

A fine new episode anyway smiley - ok

Doctor Who

Post 2985

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

Damn Straight!

Doctor Who

Post 2986

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I liked it, Matt Smith is going to be a great Doctor.

I spy River Song, old Cybermen and Daleks and the Weeping Angels.

Who was Amy going to marry, that nurse?

Doctor Who Now with asdded spoilers!

Post 2987

I spy a sea devil and all 11 doctors

Doctor Who

Post 2988

Mol - on the new tablet

Well, we're all watching Confidential, aren't we?!

Oh, it was good! Very good! Very very good! Very very very good!

I *really* didn't think I'd like Matt Smith in the role, his new assistant didn't particularly appeal, and one day they'll have to run out of good stories.

But not today. And MS was utterly fantastic. And having little Amelia was genius.

We all thought it was brilliant smiley - biggrin

Mol

Doctor Who

Post 2989

Giford

imo, fantastic episode, jury still out on Matt Smith. (Mind you, I'm coming from a perspective of 'don't bash him 'til you've seen the first episode', so I suspect those expecting him to be awful may have been more pleasantly surprised than I was.)

*** SPOILERS ***

The stripper thing was genius after all the policewoman hype, as was bringing the aliens *back* after he's beaten them.

But that costume really needs to go.

The TARDIS manufactures sonic screwdrivers now?

And I could be wrong, but... did I see a Dalek with a Union Jack on it in the teasers?

Gif smiley - geek

Doctor Who

Post 2990

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

>> And I could be wrong, but... did I see a Dalek with a Union Jack on it in the teasers? <<

Yes, you did. smiley - tardis

Doctor Who

Post 2991

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Yes you did x 2

I thought that was odd too. Remember Silence in the Library / Forests of the Dead - he gave River Song his Screwdriver, with the memory chip built in; and the master had his laser screwdriver - did the Dr's Tardis make that for him? I liked how the Screwdriver got more and more beaten up as the episode went on, but how did the Tardis know it had been destroyed?

Something fishy going on there. smiley - hsif

Doctor Who

Post 2992

Alfster

Christ, the screwdriver's a ducking pseudo-MacGuffin, a deux machina device. It can do whatever the Dr wants it to do and people are questioning how the TARDIS knows the Dr needs a new one?!?!?!?!?!?!

Doctor Who

Post 2993

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Point taken. smiley - winkeye

Doctor Who

Post 2994

Alfster

smiley - ok

Doctor Who

Post 2995

astrolog

As someone who has seen ever episode of Dr Who from the very beginning, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this one. Did anyone hear The Doctor and Douglas on Fri 2 Apr 2010. You can hear it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rp3dw for the next 6 days.

Doctor Who

Post 2996

Alfster

You ancient (lucky) old fart. smiley - winkeye

Doctor Who

Post 2997

What was the worst one?

Doctor Who

Post 2998

Todaymueller

Well not half as bad as I had feared. The trailers for the rest of the series looked interesting too. smiley - smiley

Doctor Who

Post 2999

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

In the trailer at the end of the show the Doctor fires a gun. Is that the first time in Doctor Who history that the Doctor has used one? I can't remember ever seeing him hold one let alone fire one.

Doctor Who

Post 3000

Most of the doctors have held a gun
Tennant, Davison, McCoy, C Baker, T Baker, Pertwee was particularly violent

Key: Complain about this post