This is the Message Centre for Evangeline

E books

Post 1

Evangeline

I have read text files from gutenberg.org for years. Downloaded the kindle for pc software (it's free) a few weeks ago. Seemed kind of silly to buy an e reader and then find out I don't like the software.

Kindle for pc is easier to read than long notepad files (turns pages, keeps your place when you return etc).

If any of you like older books, there are a lot of free e books online. http://www.amazon.com/gp/b/ref=amb_link_357425302_6?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-21-0&pf_rd_r=0BGMPFZC6M9EMTCFE371&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1337214842&pf_rd_i=B0051QVESA

E books

Post 2

Candi - now 42!

I smiley - love my kindle.
Two main reasons - the e-ink is as easy on the eye as paper (I get eye strain very quickly when reading from backlit screens)
And - because it is very light and has well placed buttons for page turning I can comfortably read in bed smiley - smiley
Currently reading a free copy of Barnaby Rudge. My first purchase was Anathem by Neal Stephenson: a tome so weighty it would have been impossible to hold even the paperback in one hand! smiley - book

There are many other good points, of course, but I won't waffle on...

E books

Post 3

Evangeline

The books I've downloaded were copyright expired free books.

I can see the merits of the kindle with the keyboard. As well as it takes up less space than all the books I'd like to read.

Somewhere around the kindle fire though, I wonder why not use a laptop or ipad instead for video and music? Touch screens do not work for me.

E books

Post 4

Candi - now 42!

I have the keyboard Kindle. A friend of mine has a Sony ereader with touchscreen and says it's pointless - a keyboard is much more useful.
Kindle fire isn't available in Europe, nor is the new touchscreen Kindle e-ink one. I think it's something to do with tighter data protection laws.

I have downloaded a lot of free books smiley - smiley Only read Treasure Island, Winnie the Pooh and half of Adventures of Robin Hood so far.

E books

Post 5

Evangeline

I have the 'Complete Winnie the Pooh' and 'The Complete Beatrix Potter' in smiley - book form. smiley - smiley

Searched amazon's free books the last couple of nights. Downloaded some things including Edgar Allen Poe, H.G. Wells, Lovecraft, and 'the Book of Tea'.

To me, the ipads, iphones, kindle fires and similar are all fighting to be so much like each other that they are morphing into useless wannabes. That's just my smiley - 2cents.

The regular kindles and such, I can see being useful because it's lightweight, is cheaper than buying more bookshelves and will stay charged more than a laptop.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Evangeline

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more