A Conversation for Persimmons

persimmons

Post 1

Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

crunchy? i remembered them as being sort of wet and slurpy and fibrous and sticky.smiley - erm but then it's been awhile since i had any. don't for get the most important, the *most* important thing about eating them, which is, not until they're ripe, because when they're not they are the *dryest* thing you've ever tasted and no amount of water will get the dryness out of your mouth.

persimmons

Post 2

Tragedy Anne

ok, so then the rule of thumb should be, "Don't eat them 'til they're orange and firm." Hehe.

persimmons

Post 3

ok, i've been set straight on that point... apparently it's only the American persimmons that have the dryness, not the Japanese ones. and, after re-reading it i see you meant that the *skin* is crunchy and apple-like... it helps that, by amazing, astounding coincidence, we had persimmons yesterday(i didn't mention persimmons to anyone, either, or that wouldn't have been such an amazing coincidence), and that refreshed my memory. yum...smiley - tongueout

it might be worth mentioning what they look like when they're ripe, ie, like they have started to go a bit rotten... and when they look like normal, healthy fruit, they're still "green".

persimmons

Post 4

(also, i seem to recall that the American variety at least, you should only eat the ones that have fallen off the tree already, as they are nearly garanteed ripe)

persimmons

Post 5

when you're picking them yourself that is.

persimmons

Post 6

Tragedy Anne

My boyfriend tried them out last night, and he said they tasted like the outer part of a pumpkin. Whatever that is.

persimmons

Post 7

hmmm.... no, i just can't see it.... but then it's been awhile since i've had pumpkin. and i don't think i've ever had pumkin shell.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Persimmons

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more