This is the Message Centre for egon

forty-something polevaulter plays junior tennis

Post 1

egon

You remember Sergei Bubka, the Soviet Pole Vaulter? he used to deliberately break the world record by 1cm at every meeting, as the SOviets paid him a flat fee per record, regardless of how much it was a record by?

Anyway, apparently he's in the boy's singles at Wimbledon:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/bios/ms/atpbc11.html

Or, more realistically, his son is.

Post 2

Mu Beta

Well, forget ye not that exceedingly-geeky ladies tennis prodigy, Elena Baltacha, is the daughter of average right-back Sergei.

B

Post 3

egon

...and sister of very average centre-back Sergei junior.

Post 4

Mu Beta

They put it about a bit, the Sergei's, don't they?

B

Post 5

egon

Aye. I think Sergei Baltacha junior may have played age-level football for Scotland. Under 19s or something.

Post 6

Mu Beta

He's bloody rubbish in CM01/02, I know that.

B

Post 7

egon

That he is.

apparently he's been clubless for fifteen months since St.Mirren releassed him and he had an operation on his back, but he's having a trial with Queen of the South

Sergei senior, meanwhile, is also clubless. He was caretaker manager of St. Mirren for one game in 1998, which they lost 3-0. And, inj his heyday, he looked alittle something like this- http://www.caledonianfc.co.uk/Caley%20Website%20Images/Players/Baltacha.htm

It's amazing what happens when you type "sergei baltacha" into google, innit?

Post 8

Mu Beta

Isn't Sergei senior well past retirement age, though?

B

Post 9

egon

yes, he's a coach, but currently not coaching anyone. But was acoach at St.M, hence the caretaker manager thing.

St Mirren are responsible for one of my favourite statistical anomalies- they were the most recent league team in the world whose top scorer started every game of the season in goal. Campbell Money took the penalties, see, and the strikers were crap.

Post 10

Mu Beta

Oooh. Nice quiz question. smiley - ok

B

Post 11

egon

i can't remember what year though, it was some time in the early nineties, and I had a football card of Campbell Money. I got him as a swap from someone for one of my Nayims (i somehow acquired six Nayims. Which would be enough to bring David Seaman out in a cold sweat)

Post 12

Mu Beta

The only season I collected football cards was 87-88. And the card that everyone inexpicably had loads of then was a chap who played for QPR with a moustache. David something, I think. smiley - erm

B

Post 13

egon

For QPR I can only recall owning Les Ferdinand and I think Clive Wilson.

Post 14

Mu Beta

Nope. Way before their time. 1987, remember. Peter Beagrie had only just started playing then.

B

Post 15

egon

Look, in 1987, I turned SIX. I wish I could remember 1987- It was the last time we won the elague- but everything before about 89 is before my time, sorry.

Post 16

Mu Beta

Well, I was only 8, but it was the last time I took a committed interest in football stickers. smiley - tongueout

B

Post 17

egon

You know, I bought the UEFA 2004 Computer game, and the Football Manager (new name for what we know as CM- the next CM's going to be very different apparently) magazine, both came with free Panini football stickers, and the magazine with an album

So I gave them to my sisster,a primary school teacher, to put in the "oh for god's sake, if you'll just BEHAVE for a week, you can have something from this box" box, and apparently the kid who got it was ecstatic. They're easily pleased in Leigh...

Post 18

Number Six

Baltacha's quite good in CM00/01.

smiley - mod

Post 19

egon

Sergei, Sergei jr or Elena?

Post 20

Number Six

Gummo.

smiley - mod

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for egon

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more