This is the Message Centre for Pinniped

Hillsborough

Post 1

Pinniped

I met a guy today and expected him to rib me mercilessly. He's a mad-keen Forest fan, a rare species who don't have much to shout about these days, but two days ago his ten-man team held out for a goalless draw at Bramall Lane. I guessed he would have plenty to say about the ruins of the Blades' automatic promotion hopes.

Not a word of it. He wasn't exactly subdued, but he was very formal and reserved, not at all like a guy who I've known for years. Before I put my foot in it, the penny dropped. He'd probably been in Sheffield on another weekend 20 years ago.

As we parted, it was my friend who brought it up. He'd been there, and yet not there, he said. He was at the other end. He left, as the authorities requested, soon after the game was called off. He kept well out of the way, and went home on the coach in silence. He never saw any of the horror close up. The only people he knows who shared the experience shared it at the same distance. It's been a detached and haunting memory for him ever since.

I know people who were far closer. An off-shift policeman whose mates were right among it. A doctor who was called into the casualty department of the Northern General. I've met guys who survived the crush. None of them made me any more pensive than this respectful man without a real story to tell.

I'm glad he reminded me. I've got into the habit of thinking, perhaps not wholly wrongly, that good came out of the tragedy. But today we should all remember those poor people who lost their lives.

smiley - rose

Hillsborough

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Indeed. It's been on the news all day and my 16 y.o. son questioned me about it. I found myself choking up, just recalling the man who had to choose which one of his daughters to save, and other stories I instantly recalled without looking them up. I've seen some disasters in my time but this one hit home personally because I've been penned in, at football grounds. My brother still attends Liverpool matches as often as he can. I brought up another lad - Liverpool crazy. I only have to hear Gerry's "You'll Never Walk Alone" and I'm back there...20 years in a flash. smiley - hug

We're about to watch "Hillsborough remembered" on the History channel, 8pm.

smiley - rose

Hillsborough

Post 3

U168592

I lost relatives there - so, close to home. Remembering them lately smiley - rose

Hillsborough

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

My grandad was working as a steward on that day. He wouldn't ever speak about it - but he, a lifelong Owls season ticket holder, never went back there again.
smiley - rose

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pinniped

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more