This is the Message Centre for Pinniped

a different kind of researcher

Post 1

Aslan_28

Hi Pinniped,

I am part of a team of researchers studying h2g2 for a class project. I saw one of your posts and checked out your space (hope that's not a problem). I found you interesting because of your experience on the site and contributions to the UnderGuide. I would love to interview you and hear what you have to say about the site. Please get in touch with me (contact details are on my userpage) if you are interested.

Thanks so much! smiley - cheers

Britt

---
Please note that the staff knows about this research, and leaves it up to your discretion as to whether you choose to participate in this research and/or contact us offsite.

Post 2

Pinniped

Hi Britt
Sounds interesting. I'm flattered, and I'd like to help.
From what I've heard from others, you're going to want to do an hour-long telephone interviewsmiley - headhurts
When do you need to do it by, and what time of day can this call be? I'm in the UK, as you probably know. Is that a 6hr difference? I could probably do some evenings my time next week (6.30-7.30 or maybe 10-midnight), or it could be next weekend.
If there are written questions available, and if written answers are acceptable, then that would be no problem to me either and it would get us round any timing problems.
Your choice. Post suggestions here. If we can fix a time, I'll e-mail you a number. We aren't allowed to post phone numbers on hootoo, even if we want to.
Pinsmiley - smiley

Post 3

Aslan_28

Hi Pin,

Technically, the phone interviews need to be only 30 minutes. The total length depends mainly on the length of the answers, and so most interviews have been about an hour.

Our paper is actually due this coming Thursday,smiley - erm so I understand if you don't have time before then. I'm willing to talk to you at whatever time is most convenient to you, and we are -5 GMT.

It's all up to you!

Thanks for replying.

Britt

Post 4

Pinniped

smiley - cool
I've e-mailed you with a phone number and two times for Monday using the e-mail address from your PS.
I can't do Tuesday, and I guess Wednesday will be too late (if it's not and that suits better than Monday, let me know)
If you don't plan to call, please say so by posting to this thread (better for me than return e-mail because I can remote-access hootoo easily). If you are going to call and you're able to say the time, post that here as well, please.
See you around (or rather hear)
Pinsmiley - smiley

Post 5

Aslan_28

1:30 is good for me!

Thanks so much, Pin. smiley - cheers

Britt

Post 6

Aslan_28

Oops, I forgot...

Before we do the interview, you need to give your informed consent. We have a website set up where you just read through information about the project and electronically submit it, which is: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/AY2005/cs6470_spring/researchstudy/webconsent_h2g2_study.html

Thanks again!

Post 7

Pinniped

Donesmiley - smiley

Post 8

Pinniped

...except now there's a chance I may have to take someone to an appointment at the planned time.

It's only a slight risk though. Suggest you call as planned and if you don't get an answer the later time will still be OK if that's any use.

Sorry. I'm part of a complicated familysmiley - erm

Post 9

Aslan_28

No worries.

Either time is fine, but I'll try you at 1:30 first still. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pinniped

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more