A Conversation for Knowing Bell's Palsy

A620245 - Knowing Bell's Palsy

Post 21

Xuenyl

Hi WINK, smiley - ok

As has already been repeated at length, this is an excellent piece of work, I hope I'm not too late to make a couple of suggestions.

Firstly, there's a line in there which says something along the lines of 'Bell's palsy..... is not permanent' which is sadly not the truth, a few people never recover at all.

Second, it might be worth emphisising the difference between a facial paralysis caused by Bell's and that caused by a stroke, the key to which is the forehead wrinkles which are (as you mentioned) lost in Bell's but are notably retained in a stroke.

Anyway, Great article.

Xuenyl smiley - zen

Post 22

David Conway

I just found your entry, WINK, so about all I can do is add my voice to the praise you've been receiving. I think it's an informatvie article presented in an easily understandable manner. Nice work!

One tiny little correction... My math says that .02% of the population would be one person in 5000, not one in 500.

Other than that, you've got a winner here!

Post 23

WINK (and the MArtian Arts Review) sending much LOve to the Masses

Everyone has been oh so kind. I didn't think my first endeavor would prove this successful. Now I'm feeling a bit of pressure on my next project. smiley - sadface But I think it'll all work out okay. smiley - smiley Thanks to everyone for their input and comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Take care.
smiley - winkeye WINK

Post 24

Thanks for pointing that out, Xuentyl. You're right, some don't recover. Although there wasn't a clear number of cases reported (in the researching materials I've collected) I added a footnote stating that some patients don't recover. I'm not sure how else I could word it, but I wanted to make sure that I added that. Also, I had in symptoms "Forehead Wrinkles Disappear" and added a footnote to that one. You hit it on the nail with that one. That was one of the first things the physician I saw looked for. I hope that helps.

Thanks for your comments and input. I really, truly appreciate it.

Have a blessed day,
smiley - winkeye WINK

Post 25

I think it was more a typo. I went back and corrected my error. Thanks for pointing it out. (So why "Not yet Banned" for a nickname? I'm going to check out your space here in a moment. Curiosity is getting the best of this cat.

Did I say I was bad at math? I think I did. Oh yeah, on Friday I worked up my 42 and it seemed to take forever. I truly am horrible at Math. smiley - sadface Guess that's what I get for having a right brain mentality, eh? smiley - smiley

Take care and thanks.
smiley - winkeye WINK

Thread Moved

Post 26

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Knowing Bell's Palsy'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations! smiley - smiley

Thread Moved

Post 27

Orcus

Congratulations WINK smiley - smiley

Now your entry is to be sent to one of the guide's most excellent sub-editors. They will edit your entry whereupon it will attain a new A number and then be finally edited by the senior editors before being queued for its debut on the front page.

smiley - bubbly

Thread Moved

Post 28

David Conway

Congrats, WINK!!!

Good Work.

Thread Moved

Post 29

This is so exciting. I have to give a lot of thanks out to everyone who helped me out - from getting the guideML working correctly to pointing out my little imperfections. This is so exciting, have I already said that?! THANKS EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP ON GETTING MY ENTRY STRAIGHT. I really appreciate it!

smiley - winkeye WINK

Thread Moved

Post 30

Orcus

It's smiley - cool when you get your first entry recommended huh?

I must say that the old scouting job is nice as you always make someone happy when you pick their entry.

smiley - hug

Thread Moved

Post 31

Azara

Congratulations, Wink!
Open up the smiley - bubbly
Azara
smiley - rose

Thread Moved

Post 32

Witty Ditty

Congratulations!

I look forward to seeing this on the front page smiley - ok

smiley - bubbly

Stay smiley - cool,
WD

Thread Moved

Post 33

Kandyman - Keeper of Old Buses

Congrats WINK smiley - bubbly

Well deserved recognition smiley - ok

Post 34

Researcher 185491

Don't worry love your not the only one with this condition. It happened to me after my x hit me in the face b4 going on holiday. Let's hope that it will return to the way it was b4. If not then just concentrate on your good points. Is it really that bad bcos mine has only dropped roughly a centimeter, but remember that 80 per cent of peoples faces return to normal. Stay positive! Do you know what triggered yours off?

Post 35

My mother told me that I developed a case of this when I was a child. Apparently I had gotten hit with a snowball whilst playing with neighborhood kids and it developed a few days after that. She didn't notice anything until it was too late really to do anything about it. And I was too young to remember. I didn't get hit or have any infection, so basically the neurologist stated it was stress that triggered it. If you have had it before, dependant upon how severe it was, you can get it again at the drop of a hat. Nice to know, eh?

Mine was pretty bad. The droop was very pronounced. The only way I can describe it is that I felt and looked like a living, breathing Picasso painting. One side just looked "painted" on. I still am experiencing a little droop, but it's not nearly as pronounced as it was - just more of an inconvenience now. What pains me most is eating. Food just doesn't taste right to me. Have you experienced that?

Thanks for dropping a line. I've been on here for a few weeks now and haven't really gotten too involved with any conversation. Mostly research and writing - which I love. Take care.

smiley - winkeye WINK

Post 36

Not Mongo

I had Bell's Palsey for a few months 21 years ago. The change in taste sensation is due to the same cranial nerve controlling the taste nerves (buds) on the opposite side of the tongue as the affected side of the face.

I play wind intruments and first noticed the onset of the problem by not being able to play (I couldn't seal my lips). Within 24 hours it resulted in complete paralysis of the left side of my face, caused by an infection in my mastoid bone. I eventually recovered, although I still experience some very slight weakness on the left side of my face.

The ironic thing about Bell's Palsey is that if you have it, you can't say it; you can't purse your lips to pronounce "B" and "P" sounds. Was Dr. Bell playing a cruel joke?

Good article.

Post 37

Thanks for the compliment on the article. I wrote this while I was thick in it. Mine onset so quickly (and at work) so coworkers thought I was having a stroke. I'd had this once before when I was a child and got hit in the head with a snowball and it set up infection. I have since recovered but still have noted weakness in the left side of my face and every once in a while I experience a 'twitching' or 'tugging' in the facial muscle, especially when I yawn. It's quite annoying, but only noticeable to myself.

I've gotten a few responses on this. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's contracted this (although I *knew* I wasn't.. it's nice to hear other's experiences and feel *connected* in a way). I play woodwind too.. alto clarinet. I still have difficulty in sealing my lips... sometimes 'f' sound comes out like a raspberry smiley - tongueout and small amounts of air leak out the left corner of my mouth when I blow up my cheeks. I appreciate your story and compliment. Thanks.

smiley - winkeye WINK

Key: Complain about this post