This is the Message Centre for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Tsunami warning March 11, 2011

Post 21

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Any, Crescent City has been mentioned as the scene of a fatality. Do you live near there?

Post 22

Sorry, I meant Amy, not Any. smiley - blush

Post 23

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I'm in Crescent City. There was 1 tsunami-related fatality yesterday, at the mouth of the Klamath river. A man was washed out while taking pictures of the waves, as were his 2 companions, who managed to get back. I'm guessing they found him? There was also an unrelated fatality in Brookings--a person died of non-tsunami-related natural causes on a boat in the port.

Post 24

Your town might qualify for federal disaster asistance, thne.

Post 25

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A82440821

Post 26

Thanks for the journal, Amy. It's a great account of what happened. It underlines the fact that damage from a tsunami can come from repeated high waves, not just one huge one....

Post 27

This image from NOAA shows why Crescent City is on the receiving end of distant tsunamis.

http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/imageoftheday.php

Post 28

HN, I've got to head out to do some errands, so could you go pop that into the photos and videos thread in my smiley - thepost article?

Post 29

Would it be possible to build a dike or breakwater offshore, to absorb much of the brunt of the waves?

Post 30

One of the surges washed over the breakwater, and all of them got around the breakwater and into the harbor opening (be kind of pointless to not have an openingsmiley - winkeye Well, actually, Port Orford's port has a huge crane that lifts the boats out of the water, and they sit parked on trailers in a big parking lot, but that limits the size and number of boats a bit...)

Post 31

Here's some history and some more information about how our terrain and harbor interact with tsunamis: http://tinyurl.com/4gfsse3

Post 32

It's going to get worse as sea levels rise. The Dutch know how to keep the sea out. smiley - winkeye

Post 33

I'm going to be posting photos, videos, and articles (and editorials, letters to the editor, etc) from our local newspaper as they become available/I become aware of them (the newspaper runs the site 1 day behind the pulp-and-ink version, and it runs 5 days a week--this week, from 3/15 to 3/19) on threads off of my smiley - thepost article (linked up in post 25), so that would be a good place to keep up with stuff. I figure stuff put there will have a wider audience than anything I put in my journal, and I try to avoid reposting for the sake of repostingsmiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post