This is the Message Centre for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I'm pretty sure everyone reading my journal knows this already...

Post 21

Dancer

smiley - hug
Hi, I guess the BBC wanted all the old researchers back - so they talked about removing the site smiley - winkeye

Nice to see you all here.

smiley - hsif

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Hi, Dancer.

I can't claim to speak for the BBC, but it stands to reason that they like what any organization would like: enough money to do what they need to do.

I like the pie metaphor. Every year, someone bakes a pie that will have to last the whole year. Next year's pie is 25% smaller. Is everyone willing to accept a smaller slice of the pie, or are some family members convinced that they are important enough to need the same sized slice as they've always gotten? If so, who will go hungry.

The BBC's budget is a smaller pie. It just is. Every single option they have involves inflicting pain on somebody, and being the target of protests. As a highly visible entity, the BBC is reluctant to make *everybody* mad at it, as that would be likely to incur retribution from various branches of the government. On one level, I feel that H2G2 has been flattered by the apparent assumption that it is so attractive that someone else might want it. As researchers, we are all too close to the situation to feel confident about finding another home. But look at all the blogs that exist out there. Hundreds of millions of websites find ways to survive financially. Is it really so farfetched to think that the multitude of things we have to offer would be as naught, while those other websites continue on from year to year?

Post 23

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

smiley - football

Post 24

Hi, Vogonpoet. I haven't seen you in a while. I hope everything is going well for you.

Post 25

Dancer

Hi paulh,
Thing is - H2G2 was taken in by the BBC - but it is nor originally a BBC made site.
If the BBC is not willing to keep the site running - they need to allow someone to take it from their hands and keep it running. Costs of running the site are not so high if there's no "h2g2 team" salaries to pay - so if it is made into a user run site - with only valunteer schemes - and no manager, I'm pretty sure cost will be low enough to either keep it or find someone else willing to take over. I understant talks on the matter are ongoing - so watchfull waiting seems to be the way to go about this now.

I'll go read the backlog now to see how things are going.

smiley - hsif

Post 26

I would rather err on the side of having more money than we end up needing, though. Don't know if that would ever happen....

I agree about H2G2 not having been a BBC entity originally. I think it's flattering that the BBC thinks another owner could be found. They're going to the trouble of looking for one, so they must think it's worth the effort.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more