A Conversation for A To Z Of Red Dwarf

B>R
Post 1

[...]

NO ALIENS?!

WHAT WERE THE GELFS, CAMILLE AND MOST IMPORTANT: THE POLYMORPH?????

B>R
Post 2

3 Of 8: Currently lurking. <?> <BORG>

They were all man made....

B>R
Post 3

3 Of 8: Currently lurking. <?> <BORG>

...Well not sure about the Gelf things...

B>R
Post 4

Simon the Silly Sausage (Gone AWOL from h2g2)

Gelfs were man man, according to the book anyway. Didn't they have a gelf war and rebel? Something about Gelf armchairs sticks in my mind.

B>R
Post 5

[...]

TWO FORMS OF GELF..

CAMILLE IS A PLEASURE GELF (GENETCALLY ENGINEERED LIFE-FORM) AND MAN-MADE...

BUT THE GELFS OF SERIES SIX ARE MONKEY ALIEN THINGS....

AH HA! THE DESPAIR SQUID WAS AN ALIEN... OR WAS THAT A MUTANT...?

THE EMOHAWK IS AN ALIEN...

B>R
Post 6

The despair squid was introduced by man, they tried to speed up evolution on an uninhabitable planet, and ended up with the squid.

The gelfs from series six must be related to humans, or else why would they want to marry one?

The emohawk or polymorph was an emotion sucking human invention. The original Polymorph escaped from a pod marked 'genetic waste' hinting it was a lifeform genetically modified by humams.

The Quagaaaars however, "ALIEN!!" Or was it a decomposed chicken?

B>R
Post 7

[...]

THE GELFS CAN'T BE RELATED TO HUMANS... ONLY LISTER HAS TRAVELLED 3 MILLION YEARS...

B>R
Post 8

Who's to say the gelfs didn't evolve from the original pleasure gelfs, or even some other organism from earth. There is no reason to assume they are alien.
Why would they desire to mate with Lister if they didn't share some genetic make up with him, it wouldn't produce offspring otherwise.
The very fact they are called Gelfs hints that they were some kind of genetially engineered life form, not identical to a pleasure gelf, but a gelf nonetheless.

By the way, do you know there is a caps lock button somewhere on your keyboard? It would make your posts alot easier to read if they were in the proper case.

B>R
Post 9

[...]

BUT LISTER'S A GERBIL....

SOME BIZARRE PEOPLE LIKE GOING WITH HORSES... THEIR GENETIC MAKE-UP AIN'T THE SAME!

THE CURRY MONSTER WAS ALIEN! JUST 'COS IT WAS MADE FROM MUTTON DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT ALIEN!

B>R
Post 10

How is the curry monster an alien?
It was made using that DNA replicator thing, the thing that made Kryten human and Lister small. Man made...i.e. not alien.

Caps lock button still stuck I notice smiley - winkeye Did the aliens break it?

B>R
Post 11

[...]

I'M THE GREATEST RED DWARF FAN...

ANSWER THIS THEN....

WHAT ABOUT THE PSIRENS??????!!!!!

B>R
Post 12

What about the psirens?

To quote Lister
"This entire belt is swarming with some kind of genetically engineered
life form who can alter your perception, telepathically. They're
called Psirens. "

B>R
Post 13

[...]

YOU DO KNOW 'ALIEN' JUST MEANS FOREIGN??

THAT'LL INCLUDE GENETICS...

LET'S SEE... THE SPACE MUMPS ARE AN ALIEN BACTERIA...

B>R
Post 14

Ahhh if you include anything foreign as an alien, then yep, there probably were plenty of examples on RD.
If you mean a living species that didn't originate from the planet earth, I think you will find there are none.

Ask most people what the word alien means to them?
I'll concede that the true dictionary definition confirms your claims, but that's not really the type of alien we were talking about is it?

B>R
Post 15

[...]

DEPENDS IF WE GET TECHNICAL...

B>R
Post 16

The_Blue_Midget

You're thinking of the alien as in an adjective.

An alien in Red Dwarf refers to any life form on any planet other than Earth, or wouldn't have existed if it weren't for another species that did originate on Earth. The Emohawk, Polymorph, GELFS, Psirens, the Despair Squid and Camile were all engineered by humans. The curry beast from DNA was created from a chicken (Was it chicken?) vindaloo, and so wouldn't have existed if it were not for chickens.

B>R
Post 17

[...]

Yes I know smiley - biggrin ... that was all from my semi-new to h2g2 former name. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post