A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

formating

Post 21

Pastey

Well, you may have noticed exactly how many times I said to check that the boot floppy worked first smiley - winkeye

smiley - rose

formating

Post 22

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

It might also have been productive to ask him *why* he was reformatting... If he needed to repair the Windows setup, he just needed to run "setup.exe" off the CD, then select "copy all files again". If he's doing it to get rid of a persistent virus, then advising him to make a boot disk on that computer and use it to boot with after formatting is probably not the best idea... smiley - erm

If his machine is new enough to run ME, he probably has a "boot from CD" option, which is far safer in the long run... smiley - geek

formating

Post 23

Pastey

Yeah, but I've had problems with boot from cd before mind. Never quite got the install right. Once it eve reformatted the hard drive but didn't install any cd drivers smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

formating

Post 24

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

That's a known Windows bug... It happens on motherboards with a VIA chipset. The fix is to copy the VIA "4-in-one" driver (from their website, or off your motherboard CD) to the HDD before installing windows, then installing it immediately after Windows reaches a bootable state - that makes the CD accessible again. smiley - geeksmiley - ok

formating

Post 25

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Boot from CD is such a luxury (I now use it for the majority of my Debian installations), I once had to use vfat floppys to copy the entire debian bootstrap to a new computer because the debian installer didn't grok my ATAPI floppy drive. A real pain using a win98 ebd to transport the stuff across.

spelugx -- his 486 had a 4x CD rom and not boot from CD option

formating

Post 26

spelugx, I've seen a floppy image around somewhere that lets you boot from the floppy and it passes boot control to an ATAPI CD... Sounds like something you might find "handy"... smiley - geek

formating

Post 27

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Yeah, but this was a few years back, when the debian boot was ropy (imho), and it was probably something awkward like a SCSI cdrom too, or the computer like made the cdrom look like a fd on boot (really, *really* annoying)

spelugx -- installed SCO too many times, too long ago

formating

Post 28

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I had a problem like that, win95 needed to be copied to a laptop with no CD drive, and the copy I had needed spliting on every file, I gave up and wrote at assembler program to do some serial coms smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --

Key: Complain about this post