A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

Sign me up

Post 1

A huge all seeing pulsating eye

smiley - wow... programmers of the world unite... united we stand divided we fall... and all the rest... I'm impressed !!

This place keeps getting better and better, and I'll like to sign up if I may.... here's my CV...

Languages: Visual Basic (strongest), Java, HTML, Prolog, C++ (weakest) and everything RDMS, ASP too but emmm I have advanced knowledge of it (a really good book) but haven't implemented any yet.

I hate databases but somehow, thanks to the cruel hand of fate, I seem to be working full time on them. Thankfully VB and VBA behind the scenes programming combined with a nice pay packet keeps me somewhat happy !!!

smiley - cheers

Sign me up

Post 2

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

bit like '0' then (Divide Overthow? smiley - winkeye)

Welcome, I'm sure MaW will be around any second to give you the cerimonial robes and book of bytes. please make your self comfy in the waiting area and if your hear for a long time we could run over to the cafe and pick somthing up for you.

... Now were did I put that assembler tutorial...

-- DoctorMO --

Sign me up

Post 3

Error: Positive Infinity...

Whats your favorite error message then Doctor?

Mine has got to be a null pointer exception, I love null !!!!!

Here's something I find strange -

2 things divided by 2 people is 1 each
2 things divided by 0 people can't be done, so what happens to the 2 things, they don't disappear do they ?

I'll think this through while I'm waiting

Sign me up

Post 4

Dancer (put your advert here)

The reason this can't be done is that mathematically it will allow too meny strange things in equasions, and Algebra isn't built to handle them.

I added you. Welcome to the Programmers' corner.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sign me up

Post 5

Researcher 191632

just another Roadkill on the information superhighway here.

Main skills are Java, PHP, JSP and i love HTML, CSS, XML and XSLT.

looking for work as well.....

Sign me up

Post 6

Cheers ya Dancer, just goes to show you even mathematics the language of all creation has its flaws, you don't know how happy that makes me feel... seriously mathematics doesn't surcumb to common sense thats bloody awesome !!!!

I must be getting something wrong but you know what dancer, I don't care, I've never been happier smiley - cry... no wait I have

Sign me up

Post 7

Oh thats for adding me to the programmer corner as well, am I now offically a smiley - geek ?

Only joking....... or am I

all the best
smiley - cheers

Sign me up

Post 8

If you were a geek before, this doesn't change your status, and if you weren't, you wouldn't have gotten here smiley - tongueout

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sign me up

Post 9

Hello Researcher 191632,
If you get yourself a name and a personal space, I'll add you right up smiley - ok, and you know why? Just because that's how much of a smiley - cool frood I am smiley - biggrin.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sign me up

Post 10

My frav Error... hmm, it would have to be return long '0' or sucsecfull because tecnicley it's a error message but nobody bothers to pop up a msgbox to warn the user.

iReturn = msgbox("Hey you, User. your app what ever it does has just done somthing that worked. maby you have time for some chocolates? as a celebration?",36,"Working code")

As for maths *cucks maths out for a second*

if you have 3 friends and 2 bags of sweets then you can just share them out, if you have no friends and 2 bags of sweets then you get to keep them all and the share is 0/0 with is 1 whole.

lovly. welcome all

-- DoctorMO --

Sign me up

Post 11

notice spelling, it's somthing to do with keboard response, Realy I mean it. smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --

Sign me up

Post 12

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

My favourite error is the old BIOS classic, "Keyboard faulty or not connected, press F1 to continue"... smiley - laugh

Sign me up

Post 13

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Peet, I was just going to report the same as my favourite error message smiley - ok

Sign me up

Post 14

I kind like the Invalid Systems Disk error that occurs if you leave a nasty call floppy in the disk drive when booting up, the first time I used a computer I got this message, 3 years later I'll writting computer programs for a living, isn't it ironic...

Null Pointer Exception is still by favorite... how can nothing cause an error, love it !

Yeah, I was always a geek, I was in denial....

Sign me up

Post 15

"if you have 3 friends and 2 bags of sweets then you can just share them out"
That's dividing 2 in four (you plus 2 friends).

"... if you have no friends and 2 bags of sweets then you get to keep them all and the share is 0/0 with is 1 whole"
Wrong, youre dividing it by one, you, so the result isn't surprising!

Now imagine if you had 2 bags of sweets but you didn't exist to consume it... no, that's a mind boggler.

Or you can say, you have 2 bags of sweets but you can't consume it, so... do you have nothing (because it is worthless) or 2, because youre not eating any... Or do you have infinity (because it's never going to end, as youre not really consuming it).
It's kind of easy to argue with, but if you agree to this, it coaaralates with what happens in math when a division by zero is attempted.

And, 0/0 is not 1, it is just as undefined as x/0.

Some other infamous undefined situations are infinity devided by infinity, and the process that decides who takes out the garbage.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sign me up

Post 16

Purple

Languages: C, Basic, HTML, learning CSS at moment, some experience of C++
Projects: Nothing big. Not yet...
Interests: Program organization, technichalities of languages
Ambitions: To take on a decent sized project and have success in it.

Sign me up

Post 17

If you say theres 2 sweets and 1 person, then that one person can have all sweeties - 2/1 = 2

If theres nobody around to eat 2 sweets then something weird happens - 2/0 = error/infinity/etc

You have to ask yourself what happens to the two sweets, what the sums logic basically states is... If there is no one around to consume, witness, or divide the sweets then the sweets don't exist.

Now if you expand this theory this would mean that if nobody looks at the moon then it isn't there, does the moon exist if nobody looks at it ? Moon / People Looking at the moon = ???

Its bizarre but I like it smiley - winkeye

Sign me up

Post 18

hmm, thought, anything divided by it's self is 1 whole, but anything divided by 0 is and infinitive anwser, or 0. isn't there just a huge hole in maths or what.

-- DoctorMO --

Sign me up

Post 19

not a hole...
There's a huge area in math that is regarded as a seperate section.

smiley - hsif
Itai

Sign me up

Post 20

hehe, yer you would say that.

-- DoctorMO --

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more