A Conversation for Australia - A Cultural Perspective

aussie guide entry

Post 1

Researcher 36899

RIPPER MATE!

aussie guide entry

Post 2

Aussie Wombat

Watch it mate or I'll rip your arm orf....!

aussie guide entry

Post 3

trina

I notice you didn't mention drop bears, who are by far the most dangerous of all Australian creatures. And about the grain of truth in all Australian stories...people perhaps ought to realise that it is a long held Australian tradition to see just how much you can get visitors to this country to believe. The grains of truth can be very small indeed.

aussie guide entry

Post 4

nghtchld

Bloody Brilliant

aussie guide entry

Post 5

Ralph

What no drop bears, no stories about goannas 6 foot long racing up your leg thinking you're a tree(one of the few true stories).

Unfair to Wombats

Post 6

Traveller

Rather than have them portrayed as bloody thirsty, muscle bound killing machines, please note that these lovable creatures are the Koala's nearest relative. They are cute and adorable! Great guide entry, but you forgot the main reason that it is the country of the god's, namely the other amber nectar, THE WINE. Anyone wanting to live in utopia, should move immediately to Adelaide, truly God's city! Everything for the urbanite in us, shops, restaurants, theatre, fresh food markets, old fashioned trams to the beach, and only a short drive from the home of god's people, THE WINEMAKERS!! Where else on earth can you tour the countryside, nipping into the cellar door to sip examples of the latest range of heaven in a glass. Anyone planning a trip should book a night at a place called Collindale. National Trust run, old homestead, where you can stay in the servant's quarters, live as they did 100 years ago, breakfast on the terrace, then off for a hard day's slog around the wineries. Life's tough in Adelaide, which is why it doesn't get the publicity other places in Oz do; the locals want to keep it a secret.

aussie guide entry

Post 7

Cactus

No worries.

aussie guide entry

Post 8

Duncan

Just the job. It inspired me to write one on WA.

aussie guide entry

Post 9

Garion

Nice one. Tangy. Now in handy 6-Pack form!!

aussie guide entry

Post 10

NatE

Bloody bewdiful, couldn't o' said it bedda myself

aussie guide entry

Post 11

mos

Good stuff,

lets her it for the crocodiles too. Them floating logs....

Will add something later re more about culture

Australian Wine etc

Post 12

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

A line from Australia's national anthem .... "Our home is girt by sea" has led to what I think should be our national motto - "Girt by sea - pissed by lunchtime!"

aussie guide entry

Post 13

Wowbagger

Brought a tear to me eye. Sums up Australia pretty well I thought, except for explaining how stupid kangaroos are.

Unfair to Wombats

Post 14

Wowbagger

Agreed. Australian wines are the best... especially the reds. (I wonder what possessed Eric Idle to write that Python skit bagging Australian wines?)

Unfair to Wombats

Post 15

Macro Pod

Because we would send all our crap to the pommies and keep the good stuff ourselves.

Now the bastards have discovered our trick and want the good stuff.

Key: Complain about this post