A Conversation for Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!

what happens to us after we die?

Post 1

moniquelroy

do we go to heaven or another dimension? do we cease to exist or do we become one with a God? Will we be concious of who we were before we died or do we become a brand new person with no memory of our past life?

Post 2

Zak T Duck

Whatever it is, it must be good as nobody has come back to complain. Well unless you're a fan of Zombie films but that's another story.

Welcome to h2g2 by the way. Happy exploring smiley - smiley

Post 3

djmwatts

Have you never been to a funeral? Your body is either burned or put in a box in the ground. And that's it.

Post 4

gooferz

I suppose there won't be anything much in store for you - You die, you're dead. You don't feel anything, you simply don't exist. It's a frightening prospect - at least, it scares me.

Anyway, as I read somewhere, it's always better to assume there isn't an afterlife - that way, it'll be a pleasant surprise if there is smiley - biggrin

I'm new too, BTW

Post 5

Imperfectionist

Oh my no! what a life! Since we have a choice to believe in heaven or not to believe in heaven, wouldnt it make for a far nicer life to believe you are not destined to become wormfood?smiley - tongueout

Post 6

irish_nik

My brother was very ill one time and was in the emergency part of the hospital in Dublin.
At one point he 'died' but was revived soon after.
He recovered, and at that point told me that there was no white lights or tunnels or whatever else, it was just darkness.
I don't know if I should say that as it may ruin others perceptions but you can make your own judgement on that.

Post 7

cooljinx

If you have faith in technology, you could opt for cryogenic suspension. Be frozen for a few hundred years and wake up in time to see the invention of the hoverboard smiley - smiley

Post 8

irish_nik

I've always fancied that idea myself, although it is very expensive (not that I'd notice) and the fact that I'd be in a frezzer is a bit odd!

Post 9

coolwebs_chris0001

I think when we die we a are sent to a different dimension - one of the higher astral planes were we exist outside of our body, we go there every night when we dream but most of what is actualy there is clouded by our subconscous if you want more info on my beliefs e-mail at [email protected]smiley - cheers

Post 10

apassingmaniac

the way i see it, youre going to find out eventually anyway so there's not much point in speculating

Post 11

Icefyre

aww man!! i totally believe that we're all going to heaven! what happens there n what its like i dunno but its there!!!

Post 12

kevin_strider

simple....

Burial: in the short-term, after your have decomposed and have been 'cleaned' by the various creatures of the underground, your molecules will be spread around the environment. Bits of your could end up in a burger...or if you're really lucky...a nice hot cup of tea.

In the long-term, your mass (having already been recycled millions of times) will end up as various forms of energy.

Cremation: see long-term, above.

YOU ARE ALEADY COMPOSED OF RECYCLED ATOMS SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THE PROCESS WILL CHANGE JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE DIED. It will not.

Be happy with what you have got...you're gonna be DEAD for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time smiley - smiley

Post 13

Fatal-Vision

I'd like to know what's going to happen to me before I die.

Post 14

little-t

i think that death will probably be like a dream but one that carries on for eternity. i think that if you have been a good person the you will have a very pleasant dream but if you have been a bad person then you will have a nightmare that will be eternal

Post 15

cheswick11

Can life, the universe and everything realy be an accident? Isn't it inconceivable to think there wasn't a designing hand in it all? Look for the the clues, I know where I'm going when I die. John 3:16.smiley - ok

Post 16

soho601

The way I see it, there's no difference between death and the time before our birth, so it seems strange to me to make such a big fuss about What Happens Next, cos we already know. We've spent billions of years not existing, so we should be really good at it by now.

What is really amazing to me is the fact that I exist right now, as I have spent such an amazingly long time NOT being alive. Let's think about that for a minute:

* I wasn't alive before the Big Bang, and not for billions of years afterwards

* I wasn't alive when life first formed on Earth

* I wasn't alive when the dinosaurs arrived, nor when they died out

* I wasn't alive when Mankind evolved

* I wasn't alive when people first formed tribes, and learnt to hunt and build and grow things

* I wasn't alive in the Egyption times, nor in the Norman/ Saxon times, nor in the Biblical times (my History teacher must be proud of me), nor in the Elizabethan times, nor in the pre-colonial days, or before the World Wars, or in the Twenties, or in the Sixties.

* I wasn't alive when the Beatles played their last concert together. I wasn't alive when JFK got shot, or when the first spaceship blasted off to the moon.

* I wasn't alive when they invented radio, or TV or computers or microwaves. Or even digital watches.

* I wasn't alive for ANY of the human history that I've read about... save the last 20-odd years years.

Now, I have perhaps sixty years left before I stop existing, and then I will never be alive again. Billions of years will pass, but I won't be here to see them.

Hmmmm.

Okay. Now that I've put some perspective on things and justified myself, I'm definitely gonna go eat that last slice of cake.

Because life is short, people. Enjoy it while you can.smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Wise-buffoon

Wow soho601, that was quite profound. I'd always tried to image not existing and failed, but now you've said it, it seems so obvious. I was so focused on what comes "after" i forgot what i'd been doing for the past infintity!

This makes me want to sing! and dance! and skip naked down the street!... woah, slow down there, better have a cup of tea.

smiley - tea
Ah, that's better

Post 18

glennzo

When we die, it will be similar to when we awaken from sleep. When we sleep, we dream and then wake up. When we die we close our eyes only to immediately open them up to a new reality.
If we have led a good life, then God will pass a favorable judgement on us. (I really believe that he desires us to be with Him.) We will not lose our own identity. However, our intellects will become somewhat like unto God's own. We will know and understand all those things which were a mystery to us here below. We will also be filled by God and thus be completely happy. The vision of God Himself is the reward that we all seek. We will be totally in Love and Loving one another for all eternity. Nothing will be able to besmirch this happiness.

By some mystery, the Lord who as God is perfectly happy within Himself as you know God is family. But He allows Himself to be affected by His creation. This is what we refer to as God becoming sad. And no we won't be strumming harps for all eternity. We will havethe capacity to be anywhere in the universe in an instant just be thinking it. All physical barriers will be elminated. There will be no more death, anguish, pain, want, thirst - for the former things have passed away.

We will also be around 33 years of age, no matter what our earthly age was. This is the age of Our Lord when He died and rose and this age many of the saints were taken.

St. Paul says no eye has seen, no ear has heard the things which God has prepared for us when we go to Him. In other words it will be wonderful for all eternity. No more boredom. Every moment will be a new beginning, we will drink from the fountain of eternal life and indeed we will live the life that God Himself lives. What a wonderful future awaits us all.

I hope you like my answer.

Post 19

Therealbillybobo

This is a very trying and difficult question. However most lifeforms have not notticed its exceeding irrelivance. Wh should one care to know what is beyond death, if theres nothing then you simply won't notice (considering you'll be spending most of your time bieng dead) if there is however then you'll find it very difficult to ignore.

Post 20

Hibiskus

I think that after we die, we do cease to exist, but we are born again in some form. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in reincarnation. i just think, that every one of us will live again, but that new life will not be connected to the life before it in any way. You will become a totally new person/life form, maybe even a plant or something. So, it's the end of the road, but once a new life is born, it will be you, but it will not be the old you. it's pretty hard to explain, thoughg...

Cheers, Hibiskus

Key: Complain about this post