A Conversation for top 15 Fantasy Authors.

New Fantasy Authors

Post 1

Vampire Countess

If you have run out of fantasy authors to read try Tom Holt or Robert Rankin. Both write comic fantasy. If you enjoy Terry Pratchett then you are sure to like Tom Holt - try "Snow White and the Seven Samurai" or "Grailblazers". Robert Rankin is a bit more perverse, but gives some funny insights into the world - try "The Book of Ultimate Truths".
:[
Vampire Countess

New Fantasy Authors

Post 2

ex-Rambling. Thingite. Dog. Pythonist. Deceased.

smiley - ghost try david eddings for fantasy. for horror fiction, oh, don't get me started!

New Fantasy Authors

Post 3

AlmostaDutchman

Long time ago this post are you still here?

New Fantasy Authors

Post 4

Idlepete

For God's sake!
Robin Hobb and George R.R Martin are two of the finest fantasy authors ever to put pen to paper> I don't reccomend that you read them, I ORDER you to.

New Fantasy Authors

Post 5

Thewyrdsister (13-01+9+21=42), Thursdayite!

I know that it has been a long time since anyone posted here, but I'll make a try anyway smiley - smiley

Short on reading material? How is that possible??
I have a load of recommendations, but I'll start with a few here:

"The Dragons Eyes", by Stephen King. When I first saw this book, I had no idea that Stephen king had ever written anything else than horror, but this is an amazing book with dragons and princes, a terrible secret and an eeeeevil wizard smiley - winkeye

"Earthsea" a trilogy in four parts (it's true), by Ursula K. LeGuin...and a lot of other stuff by same author...

"The Mists of Avalon" (four books) by Marion Zimmer Bradley. The whole King Arthur story from a slighty different point of view than usual: the story told by the women in the story... One of the series that you either love or hate, I think... smiley - winkeye

I'll stop here...hope that other will post their suggestions for a good read as well. It's always nice to be inspired!

smiley - magic

New Fantasy Authors

Post 6

ex-Rambling. Thingite. Dog. Pythonist. Deceased.

smiley - ghost There are a lot of fine magazines as well. Asimov's and Ideomancers, Andromeda Spaceways inflight Magazine, Noe-opsis, to mane a few. Many are on line, and many do not charge for membership.

New Fantasy Authors

Post 7

korculablue

It is almost two and a half years since the last entry here, but as a fantasy enthusiast I thought I would give it a shot and add a few more names to the illustrious list already mentioned.

Tad Williams - "The Dragonbone Chair" series and the stand alone - "War of the Flowers" Well worth a read.

Janny Wurts - Her first book is entitled "Sorcerer's Legacy" and she has followed that with trilologies written to a very high standard.

David Gemmell - His first book was - "The Legend"and has written many more.

Cornelia Funke/ P.G. Taylor/ Phillip Pullman - All good writers of children's fantasy

Last but not least (There are so many) Brian Jacques - A writer for children whose many books are about the legendary creatures of Redwall...All really delightful reads and can be read by all ages. Secondly - William Horwood's "Duncton Wood" a wonderful epic fantasy/ mythology series about the mysterious world of moles. I can only say of these they are truly wonderful to read.

There are very many more authors writing in this popular genre but where do you stop?

My personal favourites....? Too many to mention!

korculablue July 3rd 2007

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for top 15 Fantasy Authors.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more